Carved top tele - Blade switch problem

PizzaTheHutt

Hi, I have a new carved top tele, and an Oaks Grigsby 5 way super switch. I'm doing the dry fitting of every part, and the blade won't properly go into positions 1 and 5 when mounted because the wood between the top of the guitar and the switch in the control cavity is too thick, and/or the switch slot isn't long enough. A proposed solution would be to deepen the switch cavity more than Warmoth already does, but I think I'd rather try getting a proper fitting switch, or modifying an existing switch to fit. The idea being that a new/ruined switch is much much much easier and painless to replace. I could live with a normal 3 way switch that fits. A spare 3 way I had in my parts drawer gets into the positions, but the switch tip kind of gets in the way. Does anyone know of a blade switch with a longer blade? Or ideas to modify the blade to both be longer and thinner so that the cut slot is sufficient enough?

I'm thinking of trying something like this:

The Musicman long lever part should do the job. Though in lots of years on this forum I have not seen anybody report using one. Though Musicman make quality instruments so the part should be also. I am not aware of another part.

A number of forum members have thinned the wood at the back where the switch goes for the reason you stated.

I ordered one of the Musicman switches and will see if that solves all the issues. Otherwise I'd try modifying an existing switch. If that were to fail, then I'd leave a dummy blade switch in for aesthetics and I could live with doing the pickup switching with push/pulls or a rotary switch.

Well I got the Musicman part, and it works perfectly! It's the perfect length for rear routed blade switches. If you use a normal tele switch cap and push it on all the way though, because the blade is narrow for the entire length the switch tip will go on deeper then usual, and in positions 1 and 5 the tip could get pushed against the body, even if the switch now has no problem by itself. This is easy to fix though. Take a normal blade switch that has the narrow top with a thicker shaft to stop the switch tip from going down and further. Fill the switch tip with kid's school glue - you want something that will harden into something plastic like but doesn't actually form a strong bond between parts. Let it harden a bit until there's a little force required to pull the switch tip off, then let it finish hardening. Now when you go to put the switch tip on the Musicman switch, the tip will only go so far down the switch shaft and it's the perfect depth/height with no more problems.

Back