Candy Apple Red Strat Build - Birdseye "Conversion" neck *Pic Heavy*

EVH_5150

This will be my first project utilizing a Warmoth neck.  I was excited about the idea of building something unique so I have chosen a 24 3/4" conversion scale neck for this project.  I play at my church, and even though it's a newly constructed building we have really nasty 60 cycle hum!  As I began researching options for noiseless pickups, I discovered the pre-wired pickguards from MojoTone.  I had already ordered a vintage single ply 8-hole guard in matte black from Warmoth.  I contacted MojoTone and got permission to send them the Warmoth pickguard since they didn't offer this version in their pre-wired kits and they were happy to accomodate.  So, the noiseless pickups are the centerpiece of this project and are the main reason for building this Strat. 

I'm a huge fan of Charvel products so that's my inspiration for the black hardware and matte black pickguard (like the SoCal model).

Ingredients for this project include:
Warmoth birdseye maple conversion scale neck (SS 6150 frets, Tusq nut)
Fender replacement body in Candy Apple Red (vintage)
MojoTone Quiet Coils '58 with Hot Bridge w/Warmoth vintage matte black pickguard
Wilkinson VSVG tremolo
Hipshot Grip-Lock tuners

Here is a super quick mock-up:

YEoYEDFh.jpg

The packaging on the MojoTone pickups was totally impressive!  The materials are very high quality and had that "soft touch" satin feel to the packaging.  The wiring harness was another work of art! 

59aHt3Hh.jpg

wXuFnUkh.jpg

1835fCfh.jpg

I purchased the neck out of the Gallery section, and honestly I was surprised to find one with such great birdseye/quilting in the price category that it was listed.  I am soooo happy with it! 

A few closeups of the raw neck:

9vkUGOjh.jpg

yg2gPaoh.jpg

JNwuxOZh.jpg

For the neck finish, I started with 1000 grit paper followed by another light sanding with 1500 grit, then a light coat of Tru-Oil.  After it cured for 24 hours I moved up to 2000 grit and applied a second coat of Tru-Oil.  The grain and birdseye popped beautifully!  It was already becoming too glossy for my tastes though so I knocked it back down with 1500 grit.  I was feeling pretty good about it so far, but when I applied the first coat of Gun Stock Wax that's when the magic happened!  The neck almost became hard to hold on to, if you know what I mean!  It was suddenly very slick and ultra smooth.  It has had the perfect satin sheen that I wanted.  I applied a second coat of the wax and I am in LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

j0ceKgTh.jpg

I know this photo doesn't do it justice, but this neck is absolutely the fastest, slickest neck I've ever felt.

se1sIsTh.jpg

I love me some birdseye, there is some spectacular figuring on display there! Great looking body too, this will be a fine looking instrument, fine I say!

-VB- said:
I love me some birdseye, there is some spectacular figuring on display there! Great looking body too, this will be a fine looking instrument, fine I say!

Thank you sir!  I agree, the figuring is beautiful especially on the fretboard.  More updates to follow soon!

The Hipshot tuners turned out to be a bit of a debacle.  It's all sorted out now thanks to everyone's help here:  http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=29975.0

After bending the tabs on the UMP, the tuners finally sit flush against the headstock and are fully seated in position.

Here's a brief recap with photos:

i03Sz4Gh.jpg

YITBjMgh.jpg

After bending the tabs outward at nearly 45 degree angle:

OmgKtwch.jpg

Now the tab rests in the notch in the tuner housing:

Y4ELs40h.jpg

Final installation complete.  The 2 shortest posts are just barely long enough for the string to slide through the eyelets.  Since the Warmoth headstock is about 0.020" thicker than a standard Fender headstock, and the UMP adds another 0.020" of thickness, you have a difference of 0.040" which is substantial with the measurements we are dealing with.  All in all, everything appears to be good now! 

n8XqiNUh.jpg

After doing a fit test with the neck I discovered with the overhang of the fretboard, you must install the pickguard with the neck off the body! 

rPeCdZwh.jpg

YAvKdIFh.jpg

So, I removed the neck and started working on the copper shielding and also installed the Wilkinson bridge.  I'm contemplating leaving the back plate off the guitar like the EJ model Strat.  If so, I will probably just paint the spring cavity with black shielding paint since that will look more natural than copper tape!

d8tBSPMh.jpg

Looks good. It will be a beautiful guitar. That body will show off that outstanding neck nicely.

That is a nice looking neck not to mention the CAR body.

Just curious if you buffed the wax at all with a cloth as I find that can really help to deepen the look. Whatever you did looks good to me.

stratamania said:

Just curious if you buffed the wax at all with a cloth as I find that can really help to deepen the look. Whatever you did looks good to me.

Thank you!  I did a pretty decent amount of rubbing with a microfiber cloth after applying the wax.  It was pretty close to buffing territory, but all done by hand.

Really interested to hear how you like the MojoTone silent single coils. I've been considering getting the 67 set for a project of my own.

double A said:
Really interested to hear how you like the MojoTone silent single coils. I've been considering getting the 67 set for a project of my own.

I will definitely share my feedback here once it's all finished.  I can't wait to try those too!

EVH_5150 said:
stratamania said:

Thank you!  I did a pretty decent amount of rubbing with a microfiber cloth after applying the wax.  It was pretty close to buffing territory, but all done by hand.

I thought you must have done. Hand buffing is more accurately what I meant, good job.

Quick update.  I know it doesn't look like much progress, but the faraday cage is complete and everything is ready for final installation. 

I plugged it in for a few minutes to verify the electronics work correctly...and they do.  I immediately noticed the difference in the string tension with the conversion neck.  It felt so good!

Now I just have major setup adjustments to make.

GMKysNul.jpg

NkngtALl.jpg

Back