Can I only finished neck & body with "Birtchwood Casey" Tru-Oil

Noom

Hi all, my name is Noom. I'm from Thailand and it's nice to see all of you here.

Warmoth had a distributor in Thailand 15 years ago but at that time the price was quite high for a student like me.

Now I'm plaining to order Maple neck with Ebony fingerboard and fixed bridge routed solid Mahogany body to do finishing in Thailand by myself.

I have read that one of the easy way to finish the guitar is Tru-Oil finishing, so I search for the shop that supply this one.

And I only found these 3 "Birtchwood Casey" products at the gun shop :

I'm no experience in wood working, so please give me an advise, What type of material should I buy?

Additinal quetion - If I order neck with Fender reverse headstock, Do I need the string retainers?

Thank you in advance for all answer. :)

Hey Noom, and welcome to the forum!  When I finished a neck in Tru-oil, it came in a bottle like the first picture, and worked great!  The curing time is the only thing that wasn't easy.  It gets quite humid here in NC during the summer, and it took almost a month to fully cure (not fun!).  Congrats on choosing Warmoth products, I'm sure your build will be awesome.

-Rose

No need for filler on the neck, just 4 to 10 coats of tru-oil on the maple.  Leave the ebony raw.

For the body you can use just the tru-oil as well, but most people use a filler, then put the tru-oil on top.  There's got to be a place where you can get wood filler materials in thailand.  it's a pretty big place and I'm sure they make stuff out of wood there there ....

And yes, if you have a regular pro-neck (vs a tilt back headstock) you will need string tree for the high e and b strings.  If its a tilt back (like a gibson style neck) you won't need one.

Thanks all of you for the warm welcome  :eek:ccasion14:

There're only 3 seasons in Thailand : hot, hotter and the hottest so it's humid all the time.

After I have read yours suggestion maybe I'll change my mind to select the complete one in the show case.

My guitar hero is Randy Rhoads. When I was a kid I think before I die I must get Gibson LP custom and Jackson V2 RR1.

But now I grow up enough to know that just play his song is the best way to show the respect to my hero.

At first I have planing to buy Gibson LP studio from the distributor in Thailand because I have got the budget only 1,000 - 1,200 $.

I like the fat sound with lot of sustain and all switch and hardware of LP is suit for me.

But the problem is I don't like the fat round 59' neck.

So this is the reason that I come here because I'm sure that at the same budget Warmoth can provide me more qualities of wood ,sound and touching.

How I can manage this budget because I think the shipping cost will be over 100 $ and I need everything setup complete from Warmoth (I don't know the rate thet're charge for the

guitar setup)

Noom said:
How I can manage this budget because I think the shipping cost will be over 100 $ and I need everything setup complete from Warmoth (I don't know the rate thet're charge for the guitar setup)

If your understanding of setups is: bolting the neck on body, putting tuners, bridge, etc... Sorry Warmoth don't do it. They pretty much sell bodies, necks and parts, but it's like Lego, you need to put the things together!

NonsenseTele said:
Noom said:
How I can manage this budget because I think the shipping cost will be over 100 $ and I need everything setup complete from Warmoth (I don't know the rate thet're charge for the guitar setup)

If your understanding of setups is: bolting the neck on body, putting tuners, bridge, etc... Sorry Warmoth don't do it. They pretty much sell bodies, necks and parts, but it's like Lego, you need to put the things together!

Thank you so much, now I understand the process clearly. Next I need to pick the finished body & neck at the showcase and send the detail to ask the shipment rate from Warmoth sales staff.

Thanks all of you again.  :) 

I live in Taiwan. I can't get any tru oil I actually have a friend bring it to me from America... There are no gun shops in Taiwan because the government doesn't trust us with guns. They only sell those things that shoots plastic pellets I might check those places out and see if they sell tru oil.

If you need assistance with setup or installation or whatever I can help. If worst comes to worst you can send the part to me and I'll assemble them but you will still have to bolt the neck on (or else shipping becomes sky high because of oversized package). It's really not that hard though for $25 Warmoth can install a nut for you if you don't know how to make one. Only thing I will require you to pay is return shipping...

By the way people in America confuse Taiwan with Thailand but it's NOT the same. It gets really cold (like in Texas) in the winter then bloody hot in the summer. Also we speak Chinese here not too many people speak Chinese in Thailand although alot of people from Taiwan do go to Thailand...

Back