Can anyone recommend someone who builds high quality wiring harnesses?

PumpinIron

Can anyone here recommend someone who can build me a custom wiring harness for my guitar I'm building? This is the wiring schematic I want to use, and it should be instantly recognizable.

I've found a lot of guys on eBay who do the Varitone, but being that I'm not a wiring guy, I don't know how close to "authentic" or "vintage" their Varitone wiring harness' are.

I'm hoping to find someone who can build this for me using as close to vintage specs as possible. I want to use top shelf components too, no cheap stuff.

Attachments

• varitone.png
    varitone.png
    71 KB · Views: 484
IDK how much this helps or not. I've got an order in with Obsidianwire.com for a new rig. Reviews are good and they've been around a while. I haven't gotten my hands on mine yet (just ordered a few days ago) and the custom Warmoth it'll go in is still at Warmoth (probably 2 or more months away). In the absence of any other replies, I hope this helps. FWIW, I ordered a custom one of these to run a T-S-H setup. http://obsidianwire.com/custom-5-way-for-nashville-tele/

Follow Up: Obsidian Wire's custom 5 way showed up yesterday. Really impressed with the work. It's going in my upcoming custom Warmoth T-S-H tele. The body and neck are in the birthing process at Warmoth (waiting is hard btw), so I won't have it hooked up for another month or so but thought you might appreciate at least some feedback.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.55.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.55.27 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 449
Sorry to be contrary, but I really believe that the best person to do high quality wiring on your guitar is .... YOU!

You know exactly what you want the circuit to behave like.  You actually have the instrument of choice in front of you.  You have an investment in what the sound will be like.  You'll be the one embarrassed when the wiring fails at the gig.  You'll be the one fixing it when it breaks.  You'll be the one to change it if you change your mind about something.

No matter how skilled, anyone else who does some wiring won't have that same level of involvement with your instrument. 

Guitar wiring is, really, pretty easy.  It does not involve any rare skills or talents, and the materials are cheap and available all over the world.  You're the one with the most interest in doing the best job, which makes you the best person to do it.

It's better if you can acquire the skills to do it yourself, but if you want to farm it out that of course is a choice.

You don't mention what guitar this will go in. This will make a difference to how much of it can be prewired together. Often with a lot of designs switches and output jacks and sometimes pickups are in different locations meaning very little can be pre-soldered prior to the parts being put into the guitar.

All that said, if you were in the UK I might be prepared to do it if I was sent the parts. But the postage costs may be prohibitive on top of the time cost.

I have not used or know him but you could try this guy http://www.jonesyblues.com/

For parts as long as the things are of a good quality and meet the electrical specs those are more important than "vintage". 

The Jonesyblues guy has a lot of videos on Youtube that give a pretty good idea how he does what he does.  He does subscribe to the vintage cap corque-sniffery but he's a competent tech, and if I understand your original post, you kinda want vintage behavior out of the harness you are contemplating anyway. 

Like Stratamania, I have not used his products, but his videos suggest to me he at least knows what he's doing, and does solid work.

Mayfly said:
...I really believe that the best person to do high quality wiring on your guitar is .... YOU!

1000x this.  Wiring and soldering at this level are easy to learn, although like anything worth knowing they take practice.  It's inherently accessible, though - you don't need any fancy high-dollar equipment to do guitar electronics.  They might make some things easier, but you don't need them.  I did my first pickup swap in high school with a $30 soldering iron and some electrical tape.

Of course, there's a decent chance that once you become familiar with it you'll start hatching all kinds of hare-brained and needlessly complicated elaborate and versatile control schemes for every guitar you think about building.

I mean...that never happens, I don't know what you're talking about... I'm definitely not working out a 3-pickup Bass VI with series/parallel/off switching for SC-sized humbuckers and a "bass strangle" push-pull tone knob...

I agree with Mayfly and usually do my own wiring but since I got the pickup from jonesyblues I figured I would try his wiring so I will give Jonesyblues a nod here. I have his hand made 1950B bridge pickup and his 1 pickup Esquire pre wired set-up and couldnt be happier. He is very nice and available to chat if you have issues or questions. His soldering job is clean and professional. Here is what I got in my order

enhance

Closer look

enhance

enhance

Back