bye bye kahler, hello floyd?

Orpheo

I have a les paul with a studmount kahler. I hate that thing. How much work would it be to reroute it for a floyd? the trench for the springs is easy, but the rest...? does anyone have pics of a mod like this?

THE guitar already has à kahler but I hate that thing. I wanna swap it for a floyd, that's all. I own 2 les Paul's with floyd already, I don't necessarily need another one, I just want to make that guitar workable.

It's a rather simple process, it just takes a bit of care as you determine the proper placement, and possibly, make your own templates. I've done two scratchbuilt bodies with recessed Floyds now. I would recommend StewMac's Floyd template set, but NOT their recess template, as it is oversized. You can do what I did, however, and use it to create your own template, that is reduced in size. I ended up copying modified versions of all three templates to MDF for my second body, but the trem spring cavity template, and the template for the studs and trem block opening are definitely good and usable if you don't mind the openings being a bit large.

6263212336_3df020f799_z.jpg

Orpheo said:
THE guitar already has à kahler but I hate that thing. I wanna swap it for a floyd, that's all. I own 2 les Paul's with floyd already, I don't necessarily need another one, I just want to make that guitar workable.

If it's stud mounted, you could just install a stop/tom and have a hardtail? :dontknow:
Or, if you're a masochist, a Maestro trem...

I understand. I was referring to the Floyd Rose specifically designed as a retrofit for the TOM/Stop Bar traditional Les Paul setup.

Attachments

• floydpaul1.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 360
Rick wants a snarky new name too said:
Orpheo said:

If it's stud mounted, you could just install a stop/tom and have a hardtail? :dontknow:
Or, if you're a masochist, a Maestro trem...
The Kahler still leaves a cavity in the top.

I want a fullcrum trem, I don't want that other style trem anymore. It just doesnt work for me. the other trems aren't as stable or sound as good as a floyd.

It's a cam-operated mechanism, so it has some inherent friction no matter what you do. That's why it won't return reliably and maintain tune, and why it fell out of favor. It's the same basic problem vibrato bridges have suffered from since day one until Floyd Rose and Trevor Wilkinson started using the 2 point fulcrum pivot point back in the '80s. Now any bridge that's worth using incorporates that scheme.

Orpheo said:
GearBoxTy said:
What don't you like about the Kahler?

everything. it sucks tone, it doesn't stay in tune, the feel is too whobbly. No, I don't like it.

You couldn't pay me enough to go with a Kahler.  People complain about how painstaking it is to set up a Floyd and do this and do that, and while it does take a few additional steps and moments to tune, change strings, etc., there's no better tremolo on the market, IMO. 

FWIW, I refuse to own a guitar with anything but a Floyd.  :eek:ccasion14:

Daze of October said:
Orpheo said:
GearBoxTy said:

everything. it sucks tone, it doesn't stay in tune, the feel is too whobbly. No, I don't like it.

You couldn't pay me enough to go with a Kahler.  People complain about how painstaking it is to set up a Floyd and do this and do that, and while it does take a few additional steps and moments to tune, change strings, etc., there's no better tremolo on the market, IMO. 

I tend to agree with Torment - but I've never had any problems with, and actually enjoyed, the handful of Khalers I've played on...  :dontknow:

ORCRiST said:
Daze of October said:
Orpheo said:
GearBoxTy said:

I tend to agree with Torment - but I've never had any problems with, and actually enjoyed, the handful of Khalers I've played on...  :dontknow:

There is one thing I do like about the Kahler.  I like the "loosness" of it, but that's not enough to make me wanna stray from a Floyd.  Not to mention, I just love some of the Floyd's "magical sounds," such as the fluttering effect.

bbsmith1 said:
Kahler has a far smoother system, more stable for palm muting, no rear routing.  It's SO much better!

How so?  Kahler's don't even spring back into tune when you're done using them.  You have to pull on them first.  At least that's been my experience.

No problem here with palm muting with my Floyds, and I own three guitars with them.

bbsmith1 said:
Kahler has a far smoother system, more stable for palm muting, no rear routing.  It's SO much better!
perhaps better for you but not for me. I like floyds. Tighter tone and bettrr tuning stability. And... I have no palm mute issues

Back