Bushing puller

Older TOM (Gibson) are made of Zinc.  Newer ones (Gotoh) are made of aluminum.  Nicely machined ones (Callaham) are made of steel.  Prices vary.  The tin ones tend to be problematic.  However, I am a polar opposite of Cagey, don't like wilkies or the all of individual crap on fixed strat styled bridges.  Not an engineer, and don't care for solutions to problems I don't have.  TOM don't bother me playing wise, and are easier for me to set up.  As far as removing bushings, I got a block of wood drilled a 1 inch hole through it, glued some foam onto one side of it, and then grabbed a bunch of old fender washers from work.  Find a bolt that fits the bushing, put a nut on it near the head, put it through the washers and assembly into the bushing, and loosen the nut.  It worked out great for me on the Gotoh studs I removed.  Now I have a bushing remover, and I don't go near a nice finish with a hammer.
Patrick

Patrick from Davis said:
Older TOM (Gibson) are made of Zinc.  Newer ones (Gotoh) are made of aluminum.  Nicely machined ones (Callaham) are made of steel.  Prices vary.  The tin ones tend to be problematic.  However, I am a polar opposite of Cagey, don't like wilkies or the all of individual crap on fixed strat styled bridges.  Not an engineer, and don't care for solutions to problems I don't have.  TOM don't bother me playing wise, and are easier for me to set up.  As far as removing bushings, I got a block of wood drilled a 1 inch hole through it, glued some foam onto one side of it, and then grabbed a bunch of old fender washers from work.  Find a bolt that fits the bushing, put a nut on it near the head, put it through the washers and assembly into the bushing, and loosen the nut.  It worked out great for me on the Gotoh studs I removed.  Now I have a bushing remover, and I don't go near a nice finish with a hammer.
Patrick

So I guess you'd use Gibson washers to pull TOM bushings then?  :icon_jokercolor:

Nightclub Dwight said:
Patrick from Davis said:
Patrick

So I guess you'd use Gibson washers to pull TOM bushings then?  :icon_jokercolor:
Ha.  Was gonna, nah, Ha.
Patrick

This has great potential as an UW contest! Who can build the best Rube Goldberg machine for pulling bushings, or at least who can come up with the most innovative way!  :toothy12:

Don't know if this was posted.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for_Cleaning,_maintenance/Knob_and_Bushing_Puller.html

I wonder if Stew and Mac ever invite Dan Erlewine to visit them while they're yachting in the South of France, seeing as how he seems to be doing all the heavy lifting around there. Making all those videos and feverishly posing with tools, and inventing stuff. At least, based on his column in "Vintage Guitar", he doesn't have to actually DO anything to guitars anymore, he's got flunkies these days. Even flunkies got flunkies, oh lawz where did I go wrong....

Back