BurnCaster

dmraco

Master Member
I picked up this pine body Super cheap.  The build routed the control cavity too deep and was left with only a paper thin section of wood in that area on the back.  So i filled it with about 1/4 of epoxy.  Strong stuff so it should hold plenty.

My plans for this are simple and relic, my 1st.  Since the body is pine and do not want to sink a bunch of time of $$ into the finish.  I am thinking of using a propane hand torch to create a burn effect, with a more intense burn around the edges.  Kind of burn burst.  I will then spray some satin nitro over it.  Simple. 

I also picked up a super cool tele neck with strat like headstock.  Not sure if it is old but it certainly looks it.  Just had a fret job too.  Since the tour is for a single P90, I will not need a selector so I will fab my own control cover from copper with just a volume and tone...LP Jr style.

All non Warmoth but I figured it was worth posting since lately there have been some cool finishes done burning the wood.  I am no Great Ape type artist so this will be may take.

20140816_075851_zps9zfn07ol.jpg

It is an interesting effect. Wonder how many times the smoke alarm went off during the process?

Ha!!  I starte buring it by my downdraft cook top.  Smell was too strong.  Took it outside to finish.

Great Ape said:
Very, VERY COOL!! Umm, I mean HOT!!! I love it!

It was harder than I thought.  The pine was VERY inconsistent.  To get the deep burns on the edge was easier.  But it was thought on the flat surfaces.  The knots did not want darken, I guess because the wood was harder.  The other sections flamed so easily I had to be quick to blow the fire out.  LOL. :evil4:

Just waiting for the neck to arrive then some satin nitro.  My only concern is a small amount so sap came to the surface during the burn.  I hope this does not effect my finish.  Not that I am concerned about it being smooth.  I just do not want it to make the nitro look funny. 

copper hardware is hard to find.  So make your own.  Just sand off the chrome and expose the copper alloy.  No need to polish with the burn caster.  It should age nicely

20140821_164148_zpsqh5p1poy.jpg

some satin nitro.  I put it on heavy and will know down a bit it needed with some 1000 grit. 

I also burned the headstock and carved in the name I have been using on the builds.  I wanted is VERY rough looking.  I was not going to use it but I think is looks cool.

20140822_133449_zpsx5q7gjrc.jpg

KEWL!!!!

How many coats of nitro do you plan on?  I know pine is crazy soft, and I'd guess the burning will hardly make it any less so.  Do you think that will be strong enough?

I put on about 5 coats.  I will likely sand 2-3 of them off... :laughing8:

I am not really concerned with the finish.  This is meant to be a beater. Just looks too cool.

All the hardware will be aged copper and it will have a distressed black p90,

DangerousR6 said:
th

20140821_164148_zpsqh5p1poy.jpg

I could make some from brass... :dontknow:

I thought of that.  However we wanted to go with copper here.  Thanks for the offer.  I will certainly use it in the future.  Brass hardware would be cool.  Do you have the ability to make knobs??

done....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQsu5heEVp0&list=UUQQ6hQv9nkUmmPbq12Tq3_Q

That's really cool.  Nice work, and definitely the only one on your block.

And your boy's really developing some skills.  You must be very proud (and maybe slightly envious?  I know my own adolescent's natural facility on the drums makes me feel both at once).

Bagman67 said:
That's really cool.  Nice work, and definitely the only one on your block.

And your boy's really developing some skills.  You must be very proud (and maybe slightly envious?  I know my own adolescent's natural facility on the drums makes me feel both at once).

Thanks Bagman.  He skills scare me.  I have having issues riding someone to give him lessons.
His band is working on Hotel California.  That solo is him "figuring it out."  Looper was the best purchase we made for him...

Back