build checklist

vtpcnk

i think a build checklist on the warmoth site would go a long way in making sure you bought everything you need.

for example i bought everything except the pickups and electronics from warmoth for my jazzmaster - i figured out what i needed by looking at a photo of a jazzmaster at musiciansfriend (so i'm still not 100% sure if i have ordered everything i am going to need)!

only at the end to realize that the neckplate did not come with the screws!

my neck still hadn't been shipped when i realized this.

when i called warmoth they told me that the neck had been packed for shipping and so could not be included in that shipment.

also as warmoth requires a minimum $25 order, i could not order the neckplat screws from them (this after a order of like 800 plus bucks for body, neck, parts etc!).

i had to order the screws seperately from ebay - of whose quality i'm not sure now.

i wish warmoth was more customer friendly ...

The E-store has a shopping cart. thats almost a check list. What you should of done is ordered the body and neck, if they weren't from the showcase, then ordered everything else from the E-store. Plus it should be the customers responsibility to make sure that they've ordered all their things, they're paying for it.

I think they are against doing that, according to another thread that tony flying squirrel said :icon_scratch:

kreig said:
I think they are against doing that, according to another thread that tony flying squirrel said :icon_scratch:
and here it is :  Due to licencing ...
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=5516.msg65262#msg65262

when I did my build I used the order forms on the site. I still had t go over it numerous times to make sure I had everything. I didn't forget screws because I knew I needed two short and two long.

I think Warmoth does a good job providing all you need - but they are a parts seller so it's really up to you to check and double check before you order.

Warmoth electronics are a decent deal - you can easily spend $20 on pots and wires and bring your new order up to $25. I totally understand why they don't take orders for $6 items - I wouldn't!

If this is really about neck screws, neck plates, and $25, I would suggest that there are other places to get said items.  These are also the easiest items to secure.  And checklists, these are also easy to make, someone else shouldn't have to do this for you.  BTW, it doesn't matter how thorough your checklist is, there will be something left off of it.  Always.

vtpcnk said:
i think a build checklist on the warmoth site would go a long way in making sure you bought everything you need.

for example i bought everything except the pickups and electronics from warmoth for my jazzmaster - i figured out what i needed by looking at a photo of a jazzmaster at musiciansfriend (so i'm still not 100% sure if i have ordered everything i am going to need)!

only at the end to realize that the neckplate did not come with the screws!

my neck still hadn't been shipped when i realized this.

when i called warmoth they told me that the neck had been packed for shipping and so could not be included in that shipment.

also as warmoth requires a minimum $25 order, i could not order the neckplat screws from them (this after a order of like 800 plus bucks for body, neck, parts etc!).

i had to order the screws seperately from ebay - of whose quality i'm not sure now.

i wish warmoth was more customer friendly ...

Funny, I had the exact same thing happen to me.  Bought a t-shirt and some stickers or something :)

I've met a bunch of people with that t-shirt though.  Either Warmoth customers or curious joes.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
BTW, it doesn't matter how thorough your checklist is, there will be something left off of it.  Always.
Which is why you want a little stock of the most common items - a few dozen pickguard screws, a hand full of neck, pickup, HB ring, HB mount screws, a couple of safety straplocks, a few HB rings, some assorted jacks/plates. Everything in chrome, gold, black. A couple of nut blanks of the types you regularly use. Then when you order the next guitar, you just have to order what you need to keep your stock up to level. Anything you miss won't be a drama, you can just add it th next time you top up your stock.

Super,
that was what I was thinking, I own 10 axes and have never needed that many parts and stuff, not even for spares. :icon_scratch:

Edit - I brought multiple axes to gigs and rehearsals, so if one went belly up, I'd pick up the next one, and go ...
then afterwards, I'd buy any parts or repair. (Lower overhead) or just call me a cheap skate. :laughing8:

I can understand the logic of having a minimum $25 order. Think about this--Warmoth is international in this day in age, and are running their outfit in an area that sits between Tacoma and Seattle, WA. That's not exactly the crossroads of America. You would honestly lose money on sending things out at $5, $10 at a time. In addition, let's say you bought a neck plate for $4.50. It would cost you more to ship that part than it would be for the part itself. From what I've read, Puyallup is a native term for "The Generous People." Sadly, with the logistical issues, you can only afford to be just so generous without your business hemmorhaging money due to overhead.

the point is not the $25 minimum order.

the point is that i bought 800 bucks worth of stuff from them. i missed a single part. they could have charged me the right price for the shipping and helped me out without any loss on their part. that's all.

life does not work on mere logic - some human/practical consideration is essential too, i think.

anyway that's my opinion.

The challenge with build lists, parts lists, check lists, etc.... is which model, year, variation, etc....??  It would be exceptionally difficult to keep up with the options from all major manufacturers over the years, let alone provide lists for a unique build someone might dream up.

That sounds like a good task for someone with a lot of time and a website.

Whatever your build list entails, one cannot forget this very important item:

- Tasty alcoholic beverage of choice

Superlizard said:

Whoops. I thought I was only missing pups and ferrules...

Superlizard said:

Amen to that!  Also, don't forget a cranked stereo, and maybe a stogie to chew on while you're soldering. My wife always knows when I've been soldering because the house will smell like Honduran Maduras

Back