Bridge for Mooncaster

bassface732

Hi all!

Just a couple general questions about bridges... I guess I don't really know too much about the ups and downs of various bridges!  I'm thinking of putting a gold Gotoh Tune-O-Matic on a new mooncaster I am making, mostly just because I think it will look cool, but I don't know much about the practical reasons for making such a decision...

Also, when selecting the bridge route on the custom body there is a section called stud install, and I'm not sure what that is for... I'm guessing that it's specific to the mooncaster because of the chambered body?  I didn't see this section when I built my solid-body telecaster (with Fender standard flat-mount bridge)...  Can anyone fill me in?

Thanks in advance!

Gotoh makes good parts. If you like what you see, it's quite likely you'll like what you get.

The "Stud Install" option is for bridges that have threaded press-fit bridge post mounting ferrules. Tune-o-matics and many vibrato bridges are mounted that way. Many folks don't have the tools or ability to install those well, so Warmoth will do it for you for $10 if you buy the bridge from them or supply the ferrules. Not all bridges require that sort of thing. On Teles for instance, the bridge is often part of a whole plate assembly that's held on with screws.

No problem. All that said, installing those ferrules isn't a problem at all if you have a good-sized (12"+ swing) drill press. You can make it do double-duty as a lightweight arbor press for installing ferrules. I have a short write-up here if you're interested. It's focused on putting string ferrules in bodies, but the same technique works for tuner ferrules or bridge ferrules. There are other ways to do it, but that way is the safest by far.

Back