Brand new neck forward-bowed (w/o strings)

yfunamo

A roasted maple nitro finish warhead guitar neck just arrived yesterday. It was a beauty. I brought the neck to the local repair shop for assembly. The craftsman checked the neck and told me that the neck was forward-bowed (off course no strings). He tried to adjusted using side adjustment screw but not enough to fix the forward bow according to him. Is it a kind of thing that happens often? I thought the neck without strings was usually straight or maybe slightly back-bowed.

This is a case of reading the 'small-print'.
I remember when I ordered my neck, reading that Warmoth deliberately manufactures a slight forward bow in their necks, and the side adjuster is for 'fine tuning', not initial setup.
You use the truss adjuster at the end of the neck to get the neck right, and then use the side adjuster to correct seasonal variations caused by changes in weather.

The post should be in Tech Talk, I have requested it to be moved.

Builds in Progress is for showing actual build threads.

The side adjusts is only for minor adjustments. The main adjustments are done with the heel adjust.

Thank you for your comment and thank you for the links. Right before checking your post, I found and watched the former video.

This is a case of reading the 'small-print'.
I remember when I ordered my neck, reading that Warmoth deliberately manufactures a slight forward bow in their necks, and the side adjuster is for 'fine tuning', not initial setup.
You use the truss adjuster at the end of the neck to get the neck right, and then use the side adjuster to correct seasonal variations caused by changes in weather.
Understand. I will talk to the repair shop guy. Thank you!

'Funny thing; the neck on my gold Warmoth Strat needed absolutely no relief adjustment.
It's a Vintage Modern. I put it on, strung it up with 009-046s, and it's been perfect ever since.

'Funny thing; the neck on my gold Warmoth Strat needed absolutely no relief adjustment.
It's a Vintage Modern. I put it on, strung it up with 009-046s, and it's been perfect ever since.
So you did not touch the truss rod at all? Wow. Given the neck is forwarded bowed as default, it seems very strange to a novice like me.

So you did not touch the truss rod at all? Wow. Given the neck is forwarded bowed as default, it seems very strange to a novice like me.
Yeah, don't ask me why, but I've never touched it. My yellow Strat (in my profile picture) needed a little bit of relief.

Yeah, don't ask me why, but I've never touched it. My yellow Strat (in my profile picture) needed a little bit of relief.
By "relief," do you mean tightening the truss rod to bend the neck backward? My guess is, by default, Warmoth guitar neck's truss rod loosened all the way.

By "relief," do you mean tightening the truss rod to bend the neck backward? My guess is, by default, Warmoth guitar neck's truss rod loosened all the way.
No, "relief" is the forward bow. You need a tiny bit for the best playability and minimal fret buzz.
So on the yellow Strat, I had to loosen the truss rod a little, and "persuade" the neck to bow forward a little.
It has been stable ever since. I haven't had to adjust it in the last 10 years.

Last edited:
No, "relief" is the forward bow. You need a tiny bit for the best playability and minimal fret buzz.
So on the yellow Strat, I had to loosen the truss rod a little, and "persuade" the neck to bow forward a little.
It has been stable ever since. I haven't had to adjust it in the last 10 years.
Got you. Thank you! Seems you have a very quality wood. I am envious.

Back