New 7/8 Body and Neck

Jecht

My build just arrived yesterday and I'm soooo happy with the results. The body is mahogany with a quilted maple top and the neck is roasted maple with a rosewood fingerboard.  I was a little nervous about how the body would turn out because I went with a non-unique choice top. I had read several threads where people were unhappy with their results, but I gotta say that I'm really pleased with how mine turned out. The figuring almost has a tiger stripe quality.

It's also worth mentioning that the neck has stainless steel frets and moonglow fret markers and side dots. I have black hardware and the EMG SA/SA/89 set that I will be installing. I will be dropping the guitar off at my luthier's and depending on his workload, I'm hoping to have it back by Christmas.  :icon_smile:

Attachments

• Warmoth.jpg
    Warmoth.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 287
That should look a good combination when it is done. Are you using the 89 or 89R in the bridge position?

stratamania said:
That should look a good combination when it is done. Are you using the 89 or 89R in the bridge position?

I'm very much looking forward to the end result. I'm just using the 89 in the bridge. I had originally planned on copying the specs of Reb Beach's koa Suhr, but ended up moving away from that idea a little bit. I know he uses the 85, but I wanted the 89 for coil splitting.

Jecht said:
stratamania said:

I'm very much looking forward to the end result. I'm just using the 89 in the bridge. I had originally planned on copying the specs of Reb Beach's koa Suhr, but ended up moving away from that idea a little bit. I know he uses the 85, but I wanted the 89 for coil splitting.

Sure, got it of course the 89 has three coils and can not actually be split, it is a dual mode pickup wit two side by side coils like a humbucker and a third that in "single coil" mode is stacked that is stacked with one of the previous coils similar to an SA.

The 89R basically means you end up with the "single coil" nearer to the neck which some prefer. A sense of what the 89R is like can be done by putting the 89 in upside down if you wanted to experiment.

stratamania said:
Jecht said:
stratamania said:

Sure, got it of course the 89 has three coils and can not actually be split, it is a dual mode pickup wit two side by side coils like a humbucker and a third that in "single coil" mode is stacked that is stacked with one of the previous coils similar to an SA.

The 89R basically means you end up with the "single coil" nearer to the neck which some prefer. A sense of what the 89R is like can be done by putting the 89 in upside down if you wanted to experiment.

Yep that's what I had gathered in my research about the 89 and 89R. I wasn't really sure which one would give the better position 2 quack tone when split, so I decided to try the 89 first. This will be my first guitar with active EMGs or active pickups in general, so I'm probably taking a little bit of a risk by going all in like this. I really dig the tone of guys like Lukather and Reb Beach so I'm not too worried.

It took a little longer than I thought, but I finally picked up the completed build today during my lunch break. I only had time to snap this quick picture, but I'm in love. 

Attachments

• IMG_3227.jpg
    IMG_3227.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 137
Thank you! I got to play it for a short period of time yesterday and it's perfect. I'm loving the shorter scale and the neck feels great. After having no experience with active pick ups, the thing that immediately strikes me is how clear and articulate they are, especially for leads. It's almost like having a built in noise gate and they're so revealing that I have to up my lead playing because any sloppiness will come through.

Gr8 job, m8. Looks like u went full Clint Beastwood

did you have to enlarge the wire holes in the body for the emg connectors at all?

BroccoliRob said:
Gr8 job, m8. Looks like u went full Clint Beastwood

did you have to enlarge the wire holes in the body for the emg connectors at all?

Thanks! I definitely pulled out all of the stops. I almost went roast flame maple for the neck, but I think that would be a bit over the top with the quilted top on the body.

I can't speak for the holes, because my luthier handled the assembly and final set up.

Back