Boutique Humbuckers - what's you favorite?

I would put some TV Jones in there for completeness sake, but other than that you have most of the common names and quite a few not so common one noted here. 

If you are going to do a high gain pick up version of this, I would be very interested to hear the difference in magnets (Bareknuckles for instance) have on the sound.  The Nailbombs and Warpigs are often mentioned with ceramic magnets and Alnico 5's, but there is never a side by side,  discuss the tonal differences due to magnets due to magnets.  Looks very interesting, I'll definitely give it a looksie.
Patrick

If you're interested in magnets, you can just get a used SD '59, and order A2,3,4,5,8, and ceramic magnets on ebay and start playing around. I had a good time doing this and would encourage more people to check it out. It's really not hard. Godrex gets extra credit for turning me on to the idea.

Just thought of another one - Lundgren pickups. Used by Meshuggah, people who play for Bob Dylan, Chrissie Hynde, Ibanez Customshop, IA Eklundh, several luthiers: some serious people. He makes several humbuckers, including one called "Heaven 57" which should fit this test just fine :)

I would be a Rio Grande man, have been tres pleased with all their guitar and bass pickups I've used; check their website, there are a number of pickups not offered on Warmoth's site there for a variety of applications.

the only boutique pickups i have tried are the WCR godwood bridge/ darkburst neck. they are awesome pickups. looking forward to the shoot out.

Throback
http://www.gundrymedia.typepad.com/
http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/01/slug_101_back.jpg
http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/01/pickup_cu_crop_3.jpg

The Slug 101 Vintage PAF Pickup Winder

A one of a kind Gibson made and designed machine, the "Slug 101" has been sitting dormant, in a state of disrepair, for decades in the old Gibson Kalamazoo Parsons street facility. Until now! In 2008 ThroBak Electronics purchased this historic PAF slug coil winder to once again bring it back to it's rightful role as PAF coil winding tone machine. There is no other machine like the Slug 101. Designed and hand made in the 50's by a Gibson pattern maker to wind PAF slug bobbins, this machine is the holy grail of PAF coil winders. It's existence was speculated over for years. Previously only known as "the small 4 bobbin winder," it's existence was the stuff of mystery and myth. But, once more, the Slug 101 lives again!

The pickups made with the Slug 101 are exceptional, as is the machine is itself. The Slug 101 was used by Gibson to wind slug coils for PAF and Pat # humbuckers whenever the need arose to put it to use. Due to the slow winding and set-up speed of the Slug 101 there are proportionally fewer PAF's with Slug 101 coils in them. But PAF's that do contain these special coils have a clarity and focus that is imparted by the unique winding pattern of the Slug 101. Radically different than the Leesona 102, the winding pattern of the Slug 101 is a function of the one of a kind, hand made traverse and tensioning mechanism of this exceptional machine. I have blacked out a portion of the unique traverse mechanism I want to keep secret. A little mystery never hurt when it comes to PAF mojo.

How I happened upon the Slug 101
In January 2008 I visited Heritage Guitar Inc. which occupies the old Gibson Parsons Street factory building in Kalamazoo. The purpose of the trip was  to pick up a custom order guitar. Prior to the visit I asked Bill Paige if they still had any old Gibson pickup winding machines on the premises. When I arrived at the historic Parsons Street building Bill graciously showed me the Slug 101. My jaw dropped, I immediately recognized its importance. Other former Gibson employees at Heritage confirmed the historical significance of this machine. In June 2008 I purchased the Slug 101 and picked it up from the old Gibson factory building in Kalamazoo now occupied by Heritage Guitar Inc.. The Slug 101 was conceived and born in the old Gibson  Kalamazoo building and resided there for half a century. Restored to it's former glory the Slug 101 is back to making incredible sounding PAF style pickups in the ThroBak Electronics facility in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The Coils

Over the years many myths have grown along with the lengend of PAF's. Perhaps largest myth is that PAF coils or the "best" PAF coils were hand wound. In fact all production PAF coils were machine wound on a very small number of machines. The few machines that wound PAF's each put their own tonal signature on PAF's. A tonal signature that is the result of winding patterns and coil shapes that can only be accurately reproduced by machine. These machines made a wide variety of coil shapes and as a result produced the wide variety tonal colors that we associate with vintage PAF's. These shapes varied with the machine model and with small differences in operator set-up. At ThroBak we take all the tonal possibilities that these machines are capable of and combine them to produce the ThroBak Authentic Series of pickups.

Above are photos of original PAF coils and coils made on the vintage ThroBak Leesona 102 and Slug 101 PAF pickup winder models. All are very tightly wound solid coils. They are just a small sample of the variety of coil shapes that can be made on these two vintage PAF winder models. Click the thumnails and look closely at the variations in winding pattern. The turn per layer count for each machine has not changed but the coil shapes and wire scatter differ radically. Contrary to machine winding critics, coils wound on these vintage machines show a complex wire scatter driven by the quirks unique to these machines. They do not show the orderly distribution of wire exhibited by modern computer controlled winders. None of these winding patterns can be accurately duplicated by hand. Some of these shapes can be approximated by hand winding but the internal wire distribution of the hand wound coil will be radically different from the correct machine wound PAF coil. Differences that effect the final tone of the assembled PAF pickup. These machine wound coil shapes are in fact the signature winding patterns and tonal signatures of the vintage machines that were put to use in winding PAF's.

The Wire

All ThroBak Vintage Authentic Limited Series PAF's and Vintage Authentic rewinds use NOS vintage correct plain enamel wire. This wire is no longer being made. ThroBak has a large 200lb. stash of this vintage wire. However due to it's scarcity it is reserved only for the Limited Series PAF's and Vintage rewinds. So when it's gone it's gone. I hope to successfully beg a wire manufacturer to make 42 AWG magnet wire to these NOS specifications but successfully getting a wire maker to do it is a long shot.

The Vintage Authentic Standard Series uses current production 42 AWG plain enamel wire. Although not the same as the NOS 42 AWG wire it does make wonderful sounding PAF style pickups.

The ThroBak stock pile of NOS 42 AWG plain enamel wire covers all of the varieties of tolerances, min. to nom., that are found within 42 AWG. Because of this we can match just about every possible wire combination when it comes to vintage rewinds. Plus this wide variety of wire lets us cover all the tonal bases when it comes to the ThroBak Vintage Authentic Limited Series of PAF's.

Just as with the vintage wire the NOS wire in the ThroBak stash has the color variances that are found within the 42AWG tolerance. The color changes can go from jet black, maroon to a very light maroon to brown. The photo here illustrates the range of wire colors from the same era and manufacturer of ThroBak's NOS 42AWG plain enamel wire stock.

The Magnets

Just as with vintage PAF magnets ThroBak Vintage Authentic series magnets have the oxidation layer in tact on the outer surface. This oxidation is a resistive layer that effects the inductance of the pickup which in turn effects the tone. Some PAF magnets did not have the pole edge ground smooth but instead had the oxidation layer from the sand casting left in tact, still further effecting the tone. This is just one other detail that we have duplicated with the ThroBak Authentic Series line of magnets. All ThroBak magnets are special ordered to our specifications from the manufactures. We are constantly searching for and analyzing great sounding vintage magnets so we can work with our suppliers to deliver as accurate a PAF style magnet as possible.

big bob said:
Throback
http://www.gundrymedia.typepad.com/
http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/01/slug_101_back.jpg
http://gundrymedia.typepad.com/.shared/image.html?/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/01/pickup_cu_crop_3.jpg

The Slug 101 Vintage PAF Pickup Winder

A one of a kind Gibson made and designed machine, the "Slug 101" has been sitting dormant, in a state of disrepair, for decades in the old Gibson Kalamazoo Parsons street facility. Until now! In 2008 ThroBak Electronics purchased this historic PAF slug coil winder to once again bring it back to it's rightful role as PAF coil winding tone machine. There is no other machine like the Slug 101. Designed and hand made in the 50's by a Gibson pattern maker to wind PAF slug bobbins, this machine is the holy grail of PAF coil winders. It's existence was speculated over for years. Previously only known as "the small 4 bobbin winder," it's existence was the stuff of mystery and myth. But, once more, the Slug 101 lives again!

The pickups made with the Slug 101 are exceptional, as is the machine is itself. The Slug 101 was used by Gibson to wind slug coils for PAF and Pat # humbuckers whenever the need arose to put it to use. Due to the slow winding and set-up speed of the Slug 101 there are proportionally fewer PAF's with Slug 101 coils in them. But PAF's that do contain these special coils have a clarity and focus that is imparted by the unique winding pattern of the Slug 101. Radically different than the Leesona 102, the winding pattern of the Slug 101 is a function of the one of a kind, hand made traverse and tensioning mechanism of this exceptional machine. I have blacked out a portion of the unique traverse mechanism I want to keep secret. A little mystery never hurt when it comes to PAF mojo.

How I happened upon the Slug 101
In January 2008 I visited Heritage Guitar Inc. which occupies the old Gibson Parsons Street factory building in Kalamazoo. The purpose of the trip was  to pick up a custom order guitar. Prior to the visit I asked Bill Paige if they still had any old Gibson pickup winding machines on the premises. When I arrived at the historic Parsons Street building Bill graciously showed me the Slug 101. My jaw dropped, I immediately recognized its importance. Other former Gibson employees at Heritage confirmed the historical significance of this machine. In June 2008 I purchased the Slug 101 and picked it up from the old Gibson factory building in Kalamazoo now occupied by Heritage Guitar Inc.. The Slug 101 was conceived and born in the old Gibson  Kalamazoo building and resided there for half a century. Restored to it's former glory the Slug 101 is back to making incredible sounding PAF style pickups in the ThroBak Electronics facility in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

The Coils

Over the years many myths have grown along with the lengend of PAF's. Perhaps largest myth is that PAF coils or the "best" PAF coils were hand wound. In fact all production PAF coils were machine wound on a very small number of machines. The few machines that wound PAF's each put their own tonal signature on PAF's. A tonal signature that is the result of winding patterns and coil shapes that can only be accurately reproduced by machine. These machines made a wide variety of coil shapes and as a result produced the wide variety tonal colors that we associate with vintage PAF's. These shapes varied with the machine model and with small differences in operator set-up. At ThroBak we take all the tonal possibilities that these machines are capable of and combine them to produce the ThroBak Authentic Series of pickups.

Above are photos of original PAF coils and coils made on the vintage ThroBak Leesona 102 and Slug 101 PAF pickup winder models. All are very tightly wound solid coils. They are just a small sample of the variety of coil shapes that can be made on these two vintage PAF winder models. Click the thumnails and look closely at the variations in winding pattern. The turn per layer count for each machine has not changed but the coil shapes and wire scatter differ radically. Contrary to machine winding critics, coils wound on these vintage machines show a complex wire scatter driven by the quirks unique to these machines. They do not show the orderly distribution of wire exhibited by modern computer controlled winders. None of these winding patterns can be accurately duplicated by hand. Some of these shapes can be approximated by hand winding but the internal wire distribution of the hand wound coil will be radically different from the correct machine wound PAF coil. Differences that effect the final tone of the assembled PAF pickup. These machine wound coil shapes are in fact the signature winding patterns and tonal signatures of the vintage machines that were put to use in winding PAF's.

The Wire

All ThroBak Vintage Authentic Limited Series PAF's and Vintage Authentic rewinds use NOS vintage correct plain enamel wire. This wire is no longer being made. ThroBak has a large 200lb. stash of this vintage wire. However due to it's scarcity it is reserved only for the Limited Series PAF's and Vintage rewinds. So when it's gone it's gone. I hope to successfully beg a wire manufacturer to make 42 AWG magnet wire to these NOS specifications but successfully getting a wire maker to do it is a long shot.

The Vintage Authentic Standard Series uses current production 42 AWG plain enamel wire. Although not the same as the NOS 42 AWG wire it does make wonderful sounding PAF style pickups.

The ThroBak stock pile of NOS 42 AWG plain enamel wire covers all of the varieties of tolerances, min. to nom., that are found within 42 AWG. Because of this we can match just about every possible wire combination when it comes to vintage rewinds. Plus this wide variety of wire lets us cover all the tonal bases when it comes to the ThroBak Vintage Authentic Limited Series of PAF's.

Just as with the vintage wire the NOS wire in the ThroBak stash has the color variances that are found within the 42AWG tolerance. The color changes can go from jet black, maroon to a very light maroon to brown. The photo here illustrates the range of wire colors from the same era and manufacturer of ThroBak's NOS 42AWG plain enamel wire stock.

The Magnets

Just as with vintage PAF magnets ThroBak Vintage Authentic series magnets have the oxidation layer in tact on the outer surface. This oxidation is a resistive layer that effects the inductance of the pickup which in turn effects the tone. Some PAF magnets did not have the pole edge ground smooth but instead had the oxidation layer from the sand casting left in tact, still further effecting the tone. This is just one other detail that we have duplicated with the ThroBak Authentic Series line of magnets. All ThroBak magnets are special ordered to our specifications from the manufactures. We are constantly searching for and analyzing great sounding vintage magnets so we can work with our suppliers to deliver as accurate a PAF style magnet as possible.

Lance,

Are you recommending these from experience?  i.e. do you have a set?
I just read through the entire Throbak website and it looks very impressive.
However, their best pickups are quite pricey... 
Not saying they are not worth the price.  I would just like to hear some before such an investment.
If anyone else has used or heard these, please post your review.

:rock-on:

I do not own a set, I wish I did, I have played a heritage H-150 with a set and they are tone monsters, I have also heard the same guitar I played, played by a very accomplished player and they sounded so sweet and jazzy.. If money were no object I would have a couple of sets.

just for the record.  My favourite buckers are Bare Knuckles, to thepoint that I just ordered a Rebel Yell (Steve Stevens signature pup) for my Epi LP.

jimh said:
just for the record.  My favourite buckers are Bare Knuckles, to thepoint that I just ordered a Rebel Yell (Steve Stevens signature pup) for my Epi LP.
I recently scored an '02 MIK Epi LP in great condition, really cheap.  The stock pickups in it are garbage so I'm rereading this thread with renewed interest.

My epi lp is the Birdseye topped one I've talked about before. My parents bought for me for 16th birthday. The stock pups were pretty rubbish, so I swapped em out for Duncan jb and 59. Not played it for a while since I got my warmoth, but had a little blast the other day only to find the bridge jb was kaput. Hence the bare knuckle purchase.

I'll get a few pics when the pup arrives. And maybe a cheeky video  :dontknow:

hi guys new to the forum. anyone ever heard of or tried Reed James Custom pickups? It's a small shop out of Manteca, California. He makes these awesome wood pickups. single coils and "woodbuckers" I just got a set for my fat strat. A variation of his woodbucker for the bridge to match a pair of vintage RWRP 60s single coils (slightly customized) for the middle and neck. They sound AWESOME! I have an '01 swamp ash Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat so the pickups were halfway decent to begin with but the difference is huge. This is my first time dropping in aftermarket pickups on a guitar so I know I'm not a totally reliable source but check em out. pretty awesome. you pick the wood. makes wooden rings for humbuckers and plastic versions of the pickups too. www.reedjamescustom.com. if you order, email or call Jim and just tell him what you want them to sound like. thats what i did and it worked out awesome. he talked to me on the phone a few times before and while he was making them to work everything out too. great guy

tmpstrat9 said:
hi guys new to the forum. anyone ever heard of or tried Reed James Custom pickups? It's a small shop out of Manteca, California. He makes these awesome wood pickups. single coils and "woodbuckers" I just got a set for my fat strat. A variation of his woodbucker for the bridge to match a pair of vintage RWRP 60s single coils (slightly customized) for the middle and neck. They sound AWESOME! I have an '01 swamp ash Fender American Deluxe Fat Strat so the pickups were halfway decent to begin with but the difference is huge. This is my first time dropping in aftermarket pickups on a guitar so I know I'm not a totally reliable source but check em out. pretty awesome. you pick the wood. makes wooden rings for humbuckers and plastic versions of the pickups too. www.reedjamescustom.com. if you order, email or call Jim and just tell him what you want them to sound like. thats what i did and it worked out awesome. he talked to me on the phone a few times before and while he was making them to work everything out too. great guy

Our very own Vol Knob has several sets of reed James pups and by all acounts he's very happy with them. Not familiar with them myself, but the clips VK has posted sound great.

Oh, and Welcome.

jimh said:
tmpstrat9 said:

Our very own Vol Knob has several sets of reed James pups and by all acounts he's very happy with them. Not familiar with them myself, but the clips VK has posted sound great.

Oh, and Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome. oh and also thanks for the reassurance that i got something sweet

Back