Bound Tele

Ok.....Seriously.......That's just showin' off........ :binkybaby:

:icon_thumright:

Great!
now what is the secret of taking a good picture of a guitar??? I don't get it and infortunately I missed a seminar on this topic on the last Dallas guitar show..:(

it's not the ange, you take them from the front, slightly angled to the right and slightly angled to the left... and they all look great!!

Chris of Arabia said:
If you're interested, there's a whole bunch more over here --> HERE

Uh, gee thanks. That thread has filled my skull with all manner of expensive ideas. And I blame YOU!!!

:icon_biggrin:

m4rk0 said:
Great!
now what is the secret of taking a good picture of a guitar??? I don't get it and infortunately I missed a seminar on this topic on the last Dallas guitar show..:(

it's not the angle, you take them from the front, slightly angled to the right and slightly angled to the left... and they all look great!!

I'm not too sure there's a secret to it - certainly not when shooting outside. Probably the main things to be aware of are lighting and reflections - the latter accounting for the left/right angles, I'm trying to make sure I'm not one of the things being reflected.

All these shots were done with a Canon 350D (Rebel XT), a 17-55mm zoom lens, hand held. Other than that, the only thing I do is try and ensure that there is a reasonably neutral backdrop (not too busy) and that I use a relatively wide aperture to make sure that there is a shallow depth of field - concentrates the eye on the guitar and drops everything else out of focus. Oh and fill the frame as much as possible - cropping later only reduces the overall quality of the image.

On the post processing side of things I don't really do much at all - adjust the levels slightly to ensure I've retained highlight/shadow detail, a bit of a boost to the colour saturation, re-size for web display (800 pixels on the longest size), sharpen, drop a border on it and present it to the world.

Chris of Arabia said:
m4rk0 said:
Great!

it's not the angle, you take them from the front, slightly angled to the right and slightly angled to the left... and they all look great!!

I'm not too sure there's a secret to it - certainly not when shooting outside. Probably the main things to be aware of are lighting and reflections - the latter accounting for the left/right angles, I'm trying to make sure I'm not one of the things being reflected.

All these shots were done with a Canon 350D (Rebel XT), a 17-55mm zoom lens, hand held. Other than that, the only thing I do is try and ensure that there is a reasonably neutral backdrop (not too busy) and that I use a relatively wide aperture to make sure that there is a shallow depth of field - concentrates the eye on the guitar and drops everything else out of focus. Oh and fill the frame as much as possible - cropping later only reduces the overall quality of the image.

On the post processing side of things I don't really do much at all - adjust the levels slightly to ensure I've retained highlight/shadow detail, a bit of a boost to the colour saturation, re-size for web display (800 pixels on the longest size), sharpen, drop a border on it and present it to the world.

thanks for the tips! Inside pictures almost never work for me, outside ones usually turn out ok.. oh and I use a digital rebel as well... I think one of the first versions they made 3 or 4 years ago.

Chris of Arabia said:

I usually try not to either... except for that time I sold my kettle on ebay....

It's the bridge from a Kinman 'Broadcaster' set and a Seymour Duncan 'Seymourised' Mini at the neck.

Still in two minds about the neck actually. It has the boatneck profile and I think it's perhaps just a little too large for me - I may order a new one at some point and replace it with something a little more manageable

Back