Blue Burst Color Board for Neo Fender

Tonar8352

This is the wood before it was prepared, just plain old alder.

IMG_1417.jpg

This is the board after sanding and bleaching with wood bleach.  I wanted to get that orange color out of the alder so the blue would take cleaner and faster.  If you want to know more about wood bleaching I have a post on another thread regarding the steps to use 2-part wood bleach.  I made the light blue by mixing Sherwin-Williams Sher-Wood Universal Dye Concentrate Blue S61 L 505 in the little bit of lacquer thinner you see in the jar.
IMG_1426.jpg

I ragged it on with a white cotton shop rag.  (Sorry guys no fancy girly underwear here it would distract me.)  Next I use a much stronger mix of the blue and ragged it on next.  Unfortunately I did not take a picture of this step since I had to move to keeps the colors wet and be able to blend them.  I kept a clean rag soaked in lacquer thinner and used that to blend the darker color with the lighter color.

IMG_1427.jpg

The last step I added a 2oz bottle of black MEK DYE.  If I had some black color in oil lying around I would have used it because it is more opaque but this worked out.  The black is almost like a midnight blue.  At this point it is ready for what ever clear you would choose to shoot it with.  I am going to shoot it with lacquer for the fun of it and see how the final product turns out.

IMG_1434.jpg

Thats an aniline dye, I can tell !~  Not a metallic dye.  Interesting.  I see no capillary dichroic seperation.

That looks like the blue that was on the ES-135 I gave to Vic last Xmas.

Thats a very nice burst u have there.  also CB just wondering. do you eventually give all ur guitars to vic? because by the sound of it, you have a very lucky friend.

I think you should change your handle Tonar.........."Professor Tonar" :hello2: :blob7: :hello2: take a bow, that's bloody GRRRREAT!

>JR< said:
Thats a very nice burst u have there.  also CB just wondering. do you eventually give all ur guitars to vic? because by the sound of it, you have a very lucky friend.

Well he's bought an amp, two guitars... so they weren't all gifts.  Heck, ya cant take it with ya, ya know? 

Tonar - Love the way that works, but not sure where you work, but you seem to have access to no end of good stuff that is only available in gallons, which is kind of severe overkill for me for anything other than clear lacquer....

Considering doing something similar on a quilt top, what brand of dye available in smaller quantities would you suggest to try to reproduce that effect?

Jack,
Check with Sherwin Williams for their Universal Dye Concentrated Blue S61 L505. You might be able to get the S.W. guys to sell you a small amount. The black I used was the Black MEK DYE 2QZ from Luthiers Mercantile stock  # FMDYMEKBK.

Retail doesn't stock/jack with those products, will have to check with "industrial" location in KC Monday.

I went ahead and shot the color board with lacquer and wet sanded and rubbed it out for the fun of it.  You can see how deep the finish is by the reflection of my hand in the picture.  I should have done a guitar as a sample instead.  This would look killer on quilted maple!

IMG_1461.jpg

Tonar8353 said:
I went ahead and shot the color board with lacquer and wet sanded and rubbed it out for the fun of it.  You can see how deep the finish is by the reflection of my hand in the picture.  I should have done a guitar as a sample instead.  This would look killer on quilted maple!

IMG_1461.jpg

Killer!  Would love to see a Swamp Ash body done up like that!

I got some of that dye a while back, was going to do a quilt/swamp ash body I'd won on an eBay auction, but they screwed me and refunded my money instead of shipping the body. Should get around to doing a body with it this year, wanting on the right one to pop up; maybe a bass with canary/goncalo neck

I bet an alder SG body would look pretty good with this. Chrome hardware. hmmm.. Not sure about the neck, maybe a maple neck.

Back