"blocking" the tremolo

Graffiti62

Hi Guys--

I was reading in an e-mail from Sam Ash that they are selling Clapton sig Strats in an antigua burst to help drum up funds for his rehab facility in Antigua. The ad mentioned that the tremolo had been "blocked," like Eric has on many of his other models.

Do any of you have a good resource or advice for blocking a tremolo?  I'm tempted to do it on my budget Squire project due to the fact that I am eventually going to give the guitar to my daughter when she gets old enough to play, and the last thing I want her doing is yanking around on the tremolo and throwing the guitar out of tune.

Thanks!

Some tapered wedges of wood work well.  I temporarily block all trems while restringing if I can help it. 

Block_Bridge.jpg

I only block the rear myself, but this is probably what you are looking to do.

Another option just to prevent your daughter from whammying it out of tune is to just install 5 springs in the back and crank them all the way down. The bridge will be held pretty firmly against the body. Then remove the tremolo arm and you're set.

By the way, not only does Clapton block his tremolo, but he also installs 5 springs and cranks them all the way down. The claim is that it adds some interesting resonance to the guitar. From my tests, I find that there is a little more of an airy feel when more springs are installed, regardless of whether the tremolo is blocked or floating. It is really subtle though.

dont use a block of wood, it doesn't work as well as the treml-no. it will come out of tune if the wood expands or contracts or flexs at all, get a treml-no, it works awesome and can be carried over to any trem guita, but thats just me

The only problem with the tremel-no is if your daughter gets hold of a whammy bar...and tries to use it when the tremel-no is locked. 

Block it or Springs/block it.  The tremel-no is for people who know when NOT to use it.

Blue313 said:
The only problem with the tremel-no is if your daughter gets hold of a whammy bar...and tries to use it when the tremel-no is locked. 

Block it or Springs/block it.  The tremel-no is for people who know when NOT to use it.

Desapper with the arm :laughing7:

I have mine set up for no trem.

Easy to do only 4 springs were required.

005trem.jpg

:laughing7:

Back