Black stain on Body and Neck?

marianoarnaiz

Hey guys My very first neck (maple) and body (poplar) are on the way I want to apply the finish my self. I am going for a black stain, satin feel. I am looking for that black caparison kind of finish in all the guitar (Image bellow).

I was thinking on ordering some Steward Macdonald stains and finish the guitar with a tru-oil and gunstock wax for a smooth natural feel (Music Man Neck style).

I read somewhere that I should use a blue stain (one layer) first and then apply the black layer. Wipe, let dry and use 0000 steel wool after each layer. Finally apply some tru oil and gunstockwax for the final finish.

Any Ideas? Will this process work on the neck and body?

Cheers!

brocken_8_fx_body_large.jpg

I'm not sure that's a stained finish. That type of coverage isn't usually achieved with dyes either. More than likely you'll need some pigment to help you along. Check out Wudtone. They have some products that should get you there. Good luck. Post plenty of pics when you get started. :headbang1:

You won't get anything like that from a poplar body. Poplar is closed grained. Or are you only interested in the sheen and color of the finish?

Someone did an India ink finish recently, that turned out nicely.

Agree with others.  That looks like black paint on swamp ash that has not been grain filled. 

Poplar takes paint very well.  I would seal the wood with shellac and sand smooth.  I have had good success shooting duplicolor automotive and putting nitro on top.  Or you can even use the duplicolor clear.  Rattle can can turn out well if you prep well.  Not sure what equipment you have access to.

I just shot a gloss black lacquer on an open grain wood in order to get it ready for grain filler and it looks just like the guitar in the picture. For future reference if anyone wants that look use some mahogany or korina and just shoot it with gloss black lacquer heavily thinned with lot of lacquer thinner and retarder and it will look just like that.

It is looking pretty awesome as well Tonar. I'm throwing the link in there for easy access, hope you don't mind.  :)

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=25739.0;topicseen

HEy guys. I want the mate black finish, and is some grain comes out it would be nice. I am doing everything by hand (no tools). Any suggestion?

Back