Black Satin neck, no go?

Ebony.

Maybe a graphite neck would work for you?

Both or these options may be brighter than the neck wood you wanted, but you didn't specify that part.

Skelton said:
line6man said:
Skelton said:
Thank you Sean, but if the necks really wear as fast as you say, then i have to find an alternative.

*Cough* Raw neck woods. *Cough*

Haha exactly what i'm thinking. Thinking of going with indian rosewood and just matching headstock

If you want black, I've seen all-ebony necks before.  Not sure if any are in the showcase now, but when they've been there in the past, I've suffered pretty bad GAS as I've admired them.  Two birds with one stone:  Matte black AND raw wood.

Bagman

bagman67 said:
Skelton said:
line6man said:
Skelton said:
Thank you Sean, but if the necks really wear as fast as you say, then i have to find an alternative.

Haha exactly what i'm thinking. Thinking of going with indian rosewood and just matching headstock

If you want black, I've seen all-ebony necks before.  Not sure if any are in the showcase now, but when they've been there in the past, I've suffered pretty bad GAS as I've admired them.  Two birds with one stone:  Matte black AND raw wood.

Bagman

They are very expensive, and Warmoth only does them every once in a while.

Also, I've never seen one that was black, they are brown like Rosewood, IIRC.

line6man said:
bagman67 said:
Skelton said:
line6man said:
Skelton said:

Bagman

They are very expensive, and Warmoth only does them every once in a while.

Also, I've never seen one that was black, they are brown like Rosewood, IIRC.

Expensive for a raw wood neck, yes, but when you figure the cost of finishing a maple or mahogany neck in a black satin finish, I think there'd be a net savings.  As for color, I have never seen one in person, but yes, it's likely to have more of a brown cast than solid, deep black.  Good point.

The earlier poster who suggested using the StewMac ebony dye might be on to something.

peace

Bagman

I know I am late to the game here, but I agree with the general consensus.  My in-laws put black satin knobs on their kitchen cabinets.  It looks terrible.  The ones they use the most are shiny and the ones that never get opened are satin.  Not a single knob looks the same and some are shiny on one side and dull on the other.

Skelton said:
@ super turbo deluxe: i searched around the forum where i found some topics with you talking about your guitars with satin finishes and their wear. Could you possibly post pics or link to previously posted pics, so i can get an idea of what i might have to deal with?

Yeah, give me a little time.  On the bodies, the light has to be just right.  IMO, I love the satin matte finishes on the necks and bodies.  They do gloss up in the wear areas.  However, the satin finish on the necks are Nitrocellulose.  I assume they are poly on the bodies.  If you got a satin black neck, conventional logic says it would be finished like their bodies.

bagman67 said:
Expensive for a raw wood neck, yes, but when you figure the cost of finishing a maple or mahogany neck in a black satin finish, I think there'd be a net savings. 

Nope, those Ebony necks were about $600-$1200 IIRC.
I can't remember whether that $1600 neck in the showcase was Ebony or Rosewood.

Skelton said:
@ super turbo deluxe: i searched around the forum where i found some topics with you talking about your guitars with satin finishes and their wear. Could you possibly post pics or link to previously posted pics, so i can get an idea of what i might have to deal with?

I have 3 with Satin Matte finishes on the body.  Here's the body of the one with the most use.  More visible in person, and the wear around the forearm contour wouldn't even show up with my camera and lighting.  I was warned all 3 times by Warmoth Sales about the wear, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  I have 1 gloss Warmoth body finish from a showcase piece, and that's the one thing I would change.  I don't like gloss finishes.

P1110578.jpg

P1150290.jpg

Remeber their Satin neck finishes are not the same as the bodies, however a Satin Black neck finish may be I suspect.  This is their Vintage Tint Satin.  The Satin has gone glossy from wear and is starting to wear through the Vintage Tint part, the worn areas are lighter.  Again, this is not a drawback for me, as I wouldn't have it any other way. 

P1120407.jpg

P1120409.jpg

I'm also thinking of getting a satin black tele with a satin black neck.

I had a LTD Baritone guitar a couple of years ago with black satin finished body and neck and I think that was fine.
It got a bit glossy at places but it wasn't only on the neck, more everywhere you have alot of body contact with it like right forearm, the back, around the volume pot etc.
I don't think it looked bad, only like an instrument getting the love it deserves. And it wasn't really shiny, just less matte.

And I don't think the satin black finish is nitro based, is it? Only the transparent satin neck finishes are, or am I wrong?

Edit: just read what Sean posted earlier again and it is a nitro based finish for the satin neck finishes. Sorry about that.
That makes me on the other hand other wonder why the "rougher" poly finish used for bodies can't be used anyway. People here rave about raw wood necks all the time, wouldn't the effect be kind of similar?

Back