Black Korina Telecaster

Nimrod

First Warmoth build for me. Just arrived a couple of days ago. Gotta do some more research to determine how I'm going to finish it. Leaning toward a straight clear. We'll see.

DSC02918_zps21515aeb.jpg

Very nice!  Tru oil will darken it slightly and bring out the color in the BK.

That's a great looking Tele.  I've been finishing a BK LP and didn't know much about what to do with it.  My thread here might help out.  Can't wait to see how this looks.

Great piece! Tru-Oil or Tung Oil will enrich that grain like you won't believe. Can't go wrong with that...

Yeah, that's going to be an amazing looking guitar once she's all finished up.  :icon_thumright: Looking forward to seeing the progress pics!

Great Ape said:
Great piece! Tru-Oil or Tung Oil will enrich that grain like you won't believe. Can't go wrong with that...

Absolutely!!!  I'm helping a friend do a Tru-Oil finish over a walnut body and it just brings out all the nuances like you can't imagine.  Just take your time gainfilling (preferably with fine sandpaper around 1000-1500 grit) and sanding in between coats to build up a level surface.  You'll start seeing results increase in quality as you go.  By the time you get to the buffing stage, your jaw will drop. 

That's a stunning piece of wood there!

A bit of advice on tung oil & tru-oil... use both.  Apply liberal coats of tung oil until the wood stops absorbing the oil. Usually this is about three coats depending upon the wood (I've never worked with korina), and it will really show-off the figuring of the wood.  Let the body dry for a week, then begin to wipe on your tru-oil applications in VERY THIN coats.  Tru-oil contains hardeners (varnish) and will not soak into the wood, but build up on top of the wood surface in layers to protect the body.  Apply as many as three coats daily.  After every third coat, allow one day to dry and wet sand with 1500 prior to applying your next three coats.  Apply 12-15 coats of tru-oil using these instructions and you'll have a beautiful finish.  Allow a final dry time of three days, wet sand, then hand buff with Meguiars auto polish-- NON-ABRASIVE formula!

Back