TuRRS

Finally found the time to start oiling up this beauty! :cool01:

If you wanna see the unboxing have a looky in here

Here it is after the first coat!

20120429142246.jpg

and then the 2nd

20120430174027.jpg

not done on the same day obviously ;)
both these coats were done using 50/50 mixed tung oil.
ill be letting it sit for a few days and then start with thin pure tung oil coats every second or third day.

The wood is looking so beautiful! grain is starting to pop! These crappy phone pics dont do justice! hopefully i can get some good camera shots soon!

Peace  :glasses9:

Well here it is after the first coat of pure tung oil. Sure is starting to shine! :headbang1:

Attachments

• 20120503_181747.jpg
    20120503_181747.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 21
Looks like its going to be a beauty!  :icon_thumright:
Did you do any grain fill before the oil?

Ddbltrbl said:
Looks like its going to be a beauty!  :icon_thumright:
Did you do any grain fill before the oil?

It should be! No grain fill at all just the oil straight on.

Attachments the second coat of pure tung. (4th coat on body)  really cant wait to finish this and play this beauty!
I have a question, how many coats will be best for the body?

Attachments

• 20120505_135524.jpg
    20120505_135524.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 21
WOW, amazing! How many more coats are you doing??? I usually like few coats, gives a more "natural" look!

FernandoDuarte said:
WOW, amazing! How many more coats are you doing??? I usually like few coats, gives a more "natural" look!

thanks man! Im actually not to sure, how many would you recommend? i dont want a glossy finish and do want it more natural just not to sure with how many to do haha

Yet another coat :) really is looking amazing! Probably 2more coats then leave it to cure while I save fore the electronics...

Attachments

• 20120514_211434.jpg
    20120514_211434.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 12
I do tung oil on all my guitars. I've listed below what I do to get a nice satin finish that's as smooth as glass.

After all sanding and prep work is done.....
- 1st Coat. I use a sponge brush and apply one heavy coat (should soak up pretty quickly depending on the wood type) let cure for 24hrs

- 2nd Coat. Polish with 0000 steel wool, wipe off and apply another heavy coat, let cure for 24hrs

- 3rd Coat. Polish with 0000 steel wool, wipe off and use a cloth to apply this coat. After I apply the 3rd coat wait about 15min, if it's still soaking it up quickly then use the cloth and apply a heavy coat. Let cure for 24hrs.

- 4th Coat.
By this time it should be pretty much sealed so each additional coat you do will help add depth to the finish. So....for the 4th coat apply a thin coat with a cloth, wait 15min then polish it with a cloth. Let cure 24hrs

- 5th Coat through ?. I normally do 5-8 coats depending on the wood and look I'm going for. For each "finishing" coat I'll first polish with 0000 steel wool until it's smooth, wipe off and apply a thin coat, wait 15min, then polish with a cloth. By this time the tung oil should go on and polish fairly easily. So the last 3 coats you should be able to do within an hour. Once I finish the final coat I'll let it cure for 48hrs. Then the last thing I do is polish with 0000 steel wool until I get it extremely smooth....glass like.

Sorry for the long post and I hope this may help a little. I've found that if you don't polish it with 0000 steel wool between coats it builds up and get's "shiny" and makes it even harder (meaning more sanding/polishing) to get a nice deep smooth satin finish. Most importantly PATIENTS!!.....it won't happen overnight

here is a pic of one of my strats with 6 coats of tung oil

Attachments

• Guitar 075.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 14
I wish i had those instructions before i started this work! I will definitely save those for my next build! That strat looks incredible and pretty much exactly what i was after. My tele still looks great so im not to worried :)
Im very tempted to ask bout your bridges! put one on the tele and mount the bridge pup in the wood. hmm sounds quite sexy!

Tires: the good thing about tung oil is you can sand and reapply whenever you want. After about a year one of my guitars started losing its luster, I polished with the 0000 wool and applied 2 more coats with a cloth, let dry and one more final polish with the wool and it was like new again

Back