black korina tele deluxe, out of the box

nathan a

All right, here's my project and new baby.  :toothy12:
I was absolutely floored by the quality of what I received-- I knew and trusted that warmoth stuff is nice, but what just arrived in the mail is just perfect. The figuring on the black korina body is way beyond what I expected (check out the second photo, taken out in the sun to show the grain). Every little thing I specified, especially with the neck, was done great. I can't wait to get everything together, though there's a lot to be done.

Next step -- get a middle single coil route in the body and pickguard (warmoth doesn't have the templates).

Neck: total vintage maple/rosewood with abalone dots, wolfgang contour, small gibson fretwire.
pickups: SD jazz, vintage singlecoil, JB

moosecaster1.jpg

figuring1.jpg

Man! This is damn cool!!! :eek:ccasion14:
I enjoy black korina a lot! Someday I'll get a guitar with it to know the sound, for what I listened, I'll like!

That's a beautiful body!

Are you sure Warmoth doesn't do the middle coil routing on body & pickguard?

Thanks guys! I'm proud  :toothy11:

Kostas said:
Are you sure Warmoth doesn't do the middle coil routing on body & pickguard?

Unfortunately, I'm sure-- I tried to order it with those routes, but Jay told me they don't have the templates specifically for the tele deluxe. But that's okay because I love this beast

Very Nice, a Smoker for sure, I love the stop bar tailpiece, they did a beautiful finish on there as well..... :icon_thumright:

man thats a nice piece of black korina i know its going to sound huge keep us posted with build pics thanks kayle

Nice looking parts. It makes wish that I ordered a finished body. I've had a Black Korina strat body unfinished for a little over 4 months and it's still in the box. :glasses9:

Stunck in The Sixties: Go grab some tung oil, looks great on black korina, you could have the finish done in less than a week, depending on how humid it is there which will affect how long it takes each coat to dry; I wound up putting 8 coats on the Korinacaster Plus DX I'm building and the completed finish looks similar to the Tele. just a bit less glossy. How were you going to finish your body?

Stuck in the Sixties said:
Nice looking parts. It makes wish that I ordered a finished body. I've had a Black Korina strat body unfinished for a little over 4 months and it's still in the box. :glasses9:
If you haven't altered it in any way, send it back and we'll put a finish on it for you.

Very nice !!!
I can't say anything else when I just had this one:
warmothbody.jpg

I still need to record and post some sounds of it.

oliviermarian said:
Very nice !!!
I can't say anything else when I just had this one:
warmothbody.jpg

I still need to record and post some sounds of it.

I saw yours just a few days before mine arrived! Beauties, they are. Hows the P90 sound? I LOVE P90s
Can't wait to get my guitar together and screaming.

Very nice piece there Nathan. The pearloid pickguard mixes nicely with the black korina. Congratulation.  :hello2:

man i hope when my korina dragonburst comes in it has a nice figure like that.  I'm kind of terrified of it looking like this when it gets here:

VIPP94a.jpg

kind of.. not all that exciting.  The figuring you've got is superb. *crosses fingers...  toes...    .. eyes*

jackthehack said:
Stunck in The Sixties: Go grab some tung oil, looks great on black korina, you could have the finish done in less than a week, depending on how humid it is there which will affect how long it takes each coat to dry; I wound up putting 8 coats on the Korinacaster Plus DX I'm building and the completed finish looks similar to the Tele. just a bit less glossy. How were you going to finish your body?
I was going to put on a filler coat or 3 what ever it takes then use tung oil or go the Birchwood Casey route. I've been so busy with the Vol. Fire Dept that I'm Vice-Chairman of the board of trustees trying to levy a tax. I spend most of my time talking to lawyers (I believe that most of them graduated at the bottom of their class) County Fiscal Court and County Judge Exec. Circuit Court and Judge, and the Gov. office. It wouldn't be a problem if the founding board members levyed the tax instead of relying of the people to pay the yearly dues. See what I mean I got off the subject when guitars are much more interesting. I may send it back to Warmoth and let them finish it. I am just about brain dead right now and I made it thru the 60's and early 70's.

Gregg Stewart said:
Stuck in the Sixties said:
If you haven't altered it in any way, send it back and we'll put a finish on it for you.
Gregg I will try to give Warmoth a call tomorrow. I will be tied up tomorrow morning with the DES Coordinator quoteing laws as to why he will keep his nose out of our taxing districts' business.

Volitions Advocate said:
man i hope when my korina dragonburst comes in it has a nice figure like that.  I'm kind of terrified of it looking like this when it gets here ^^^

kind of.. not all that exciting.  The figuring you've got is superb. *crosses fingers...  toes...    .. eyes*

Hey VA-- Thanks thanks, it's a beautiful chunk of wood. After looking at some of the other recent posts of guys on the board with new black korina bodies, I think you'll be in luck. It seems like a lot of the black korina coming out within the last month has been AWESOME. Maybe warmoth's recent supply has been especially nice.

It's been done for months and months but I never got around to taking pictures. It's a monster, I get a huge range of tones from this one. Nice single coil sounds (both humbuckers sound great split), not really like a strat or tele. Single coil stuff sounds like some other fender Leo never got around to building.

The neck pickup sounds amazing clean, I get great jazz tones there. My favorite setting is neck humbucker and middle single together. I find myself rarely turning off the middle single coil, it adds great bite and snap to both humbuckers.

moosecaster.jpg

Back