Black Korina P Bass

Jack_H

Last September my order for a Black Korina P Bass with MusicMan pickup arrived.  I wasn't quite thrilled with the rather large swath of dark area but it kinda grew on me.

I finally got around to it yesterday.  I used Tried and True Danish oil, which was thick but soaked into the wood quickly.  It left an amber hue and smelled like used cooking oil.  I used hand drill for holes but even at high speed the wood splintered a bit.  Luckily it won't be noticeable after I install the knobs.

Pics of before and after first coat of oil.

Attachments

• p bass front blank.jpg
    p bass front blank.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 11
  • p bass front coat 1.jpg
    p bass front coat 1.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 14
  • p bass back blank.jpg
    p bass back blank.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 9
  • p bass back coat 1.jpg
    p bass back coat 1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 11
  • p bass mockup.jpg
    p bass mockup.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 17
I like it! It's not the most "conventionally pretty" black korina I've seen, but it's unique and cool!

I put on 6 thin coats of Danish oil, then 2 heavy coats.  When the oil was not absorbed overnight I figure it's ready.  The oil really brought out the subtle textures.

The electronics are EMG MMHZ bass pickup and B64 control.  However, I didn't take into account how much the input jack would protrude and it barely cleared the circuit board.

I will get the neck after tax.

Attachments

• IMG_3482.JPG
    IMG_3482.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3483.JPG
    IMG_3483.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 26
Don't shoot the messenger but have you checked by plugging a guitar lead into the output jack if you still have clearance?

Yes I did, and it seated properly without touching anything else.  It just felt too close for comfort.

Back