BK WGD

DocNrock

Master Member
Here's a WGD I scored off of E-bay.  The body is black korina and the neck is unfinished wenge.  At first, I was going to put a Sustainiac in it, but I learned (after putting conductive paint in the routes) that conductive paint and metal are no-nos for the Sustainiac.  Oh well.  So here is what I did.

When I saw this body, for whatever reason, I envisioned the album cover of Nazareth, "Hair of the Dog."  For that reason, I chose a macassar ebony fingerboard with what looked like blood drops and for the "hell" of it, went for a skull and X-bones 12th fret marker.  For a second level of sublimination, the body design is that of Jerry Garcia (but I am not a Dead fan), but the skull and X-bones fits the theme two fold, since the Dead is the Dead, and uhummm, Jerry is dead.

There is a Wilkinson trem and Schaller mini tuners.  Frets are 6100 SS.  The pups are DiMarzios, from bridge to neck, Super Distortion, PAF Joe, and Breed Neck; there is an EMG PA-2 preamp onboard, as well.  FWIW, pots, switch, and caps are from RS guitarworks and the jack is Planet Wave.

body-5.jpg

fingerboard.jpg

back-4.jpg

whole-1.jpg

Don't leave that thing lyin' around the surgery Doc.. bad for business  :laughing7:
That's a mighty looking beastie, love the fingerboard too  :headbang1:

willyk said:
Don't leave that thing lyin' around the surgery Doc.. bad for business  :laughing7:
That's a mighty looking beastie, love the fingerboard too  :headbang1:

Thanks Willy.  The spots on the fingerboard look like blood drops in the pics.  In reality, they're pretty subtle, but they are there.

Besides, I don't take my guitars to surgery.  :icon_biggrin:

Pretty sure the laws of karma require that you bequeath it to me since I brought it to your attention.

Seriously though, the execution was spectacular.  I still love the grain on the back of that thing.

That is just too cool Doc, the bloodspots althow however accidental really set it off....... :icon_thumright:

Lucky #7 said:
Pretty sure the laws of karma require that you bequeath it to me since I brought it to your attention.

Seriously though, the execution was spectacular.  I still love the grain on the back of that thing.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and glad you like it.  Truth be known, I could have lived without this build, but after seeing it, I had to have it.  Does that make any sense?  :doh:

DangerousR6 said:
That is just too cool Doc, the bloodspots althow however accidental really set it off....... :icon_thumright:

Thanks, I think they are the most killer part of the build.  Carries my "Hair of the Dog" theme to the next level.   :icon_thumright:

Glad to see you finally finished that one Doc.  I've been looking forward to the finished product and can definitely say it was worth the wait!  :glasses9:

cool! :icon_thumright:

doc please figure out how to increase the size/quality setting for your camera...I'm begging you. :laughing3:

Awesome!  great job.    I definitely think that body shape is rockin no matter what! (even if you're not a fan!)  :hello2:

GoDrex said:
cool! :icon_thumright:

doc please figure out how to increase the size/quality setting for your camera...I'm begging you. :laughing3:

I'll try to figure it out this afternoon.  I'm not quite sure why there is so much aliasing in the pics.

And thanks for the kind words, guys.  If nothing else, this axe is somewhat unique.

Neil Stryker said:
Awesome!   great job.    I definitely think that body shape is rockin no matter what! (even if you're not a fan!)  :hello2:

Thanks Neil - I actually kind of dig it myself.  Makes for a unique guitar that you don't see every day. 

Cool guitar, Doc.

I'm currently building a guitar very similar to yours with 3 humbuckers, 1 volume, 2 tone & a 5-way switch. How did you wire this thing? Do you have split coil humbuckers? If so, did you use push/pull pots?

By the way, I'm not a fan of the Dead, but I really dig the Doug Irwin "Tiger" / "Rosebud" Guitar shape. Recently, I purchase a LP solid wenge' neck and a mahogany body from Warmoth. I plan to use a "Tiger" / "Rosebud" body shape and carve the top. Who knows what I will end up with.

Anyway, any wiring help would be much appreciated.

JT said:
Cool guitar, Doc.

I'm currently building a guitar very similar to yours with 3 humbuckers, 1 volume, 2 tone & a 5-way switch. How did you wire this thing? Do you have split coil humbuckers? If so, did you use push/pull pots?

By the way, I'm not a fan of the Dead, but I really dig the Doug Irwin "Tiger" / "Rosebud" Guitar shape. Recently, I purchase a LP solid wenge' neck and a mahogany body from Warmoth. I plan to use a "Tiger" / "Rosebud" body shape and carve the top. Who knows what I will end up with.

Anyway, any wiring help would be much appreciated.

Thanks JT.  I wired it as a 1 vol, 1 tone, 1 blender pot, 5 way switch and an EMG PA-2 onboard preamp.  There are no taps or splits.  For wiring, I just used standard Strat blender wiring with the PA-2 between the volume output and the jack.

Back