Binding Question

Eisenhower42

Gents, does anyone know if Warmoth will sell me a Tele body that is routed for binding, but with no actual binding applied? 

I have a guitar builder who will do the binding with some binding that Warmoth doesn't offer (2=ply black/white), then do the paint work, but I could save some expense by having the body pre-routed for the binding.

Will Warmoth sell me a body that's routed but not bound?

Thanks,
DeWayne

I've never heard of them providing them that way, or anybody ordering them that way. I suspect it has to do with the fragility of the edge once that relief is cut in. But, you can always call and ask.

To be real blunt about it, there are many other parts companies who do offer this; pretty much everyone, in fact. So if all you want is a totally regular Tele configuration and a standard wood then just ask basically any other company. The main problem right now is just that Warmoth are pretty much the only parts company still actually taking orders, except Musikraft... who recently stopped making bodies and now only make necks. So you may be in for a long wait if you want to get a binding-routed but binding-less body from somewhere else.
Of course if you want the extra-smooth Warmoth outline, fancy woods or other options then you might find other companies can't fill those requirements anyway. In that case, and if Warmoth won't not do the binding for you, what you could do is order a Warmoth body with binding and then just have that binding taken off and replaced. Anybody who is capable of attaching binding and finishing a body is equally capable of removing it. The question then is just whether or not the double-ply binding you want is the same thickness as Warmoth's single-ply, which is 2mmx6mm.

For the record I do opt for Warmoth bodies over any other companies' bodies when possible, and like OP I've only bothered with other companies' bodies for the sake of custom binding. If Warmoth would see fit to supply decades-standard triple-ply binding, LP Custom style, I wouldn't have ever had much need to go to other companies. The comparatively limited number of colour options for binding and pickguards is something Warmoth definitely needs to work on, especially with so many standard, vintage options missing.

If your builder claims to have binding, finishing, scraping, etc skills but can't rout the channel...my spidey sense would be tingling.

Wolfie351 said:
If your builder claims to have binding, finishing, scraping, etc skills but can't rout the channel...my spidey sense would be tingling.

I was going to suggest something similar - if your guy can install binding but cannot rout for it, there's a skills gap that would concern me.

No, no. The builder is fully capable of routing for the binding. I was simply hoping to have Warmoth route the body while they had it rather than try to ask them to not round the edges of the body so it could be routed later, etc.

DeWayne

Back