Binding needs repair - help

tfarny

Master Member
Can anyone offer advice about repairing binding? I finally got my "used" W LP (pictures soon) and one of the many (minor) issues it has is that the binding is separated off the treble side of the neck from the nut to the 1st fret. It's not noticeable in playing but you can see it when you look close and it obviously needs to be fixed.
My plan was to superglue it back into place and use rubber bands to hold it down while it cures. Good idea???

Basically it looks like the guy I bought it from, screwed it all together and didn't really attempt to set it up or anything, just said "this sucks" and put it away for a couple of years. Tarnished frets but 0 fret wear. Truss rod was over-tightened with a slight back bow, action far too low, bridge pup doesn't do anything, etc. So far everything is easily fixable, I got the truss rod right, adjusted action, polished the frets. 

Sounds ok.  Be careful not to have anything contacting the binding area that might also stick to the work, it could be ugly when you go to remove the clamp (or elastics in your case).  First time I did it, the binding stuck to the clamp.  I now get 10"x8"sheets of teflon from the craft/hardware store for protection.

That fixed it, no issues. I stuck a drop of superglue gel into the lifted spot, pressed hard, wiped off all the excess right away, held it with my finger for a few minutes, then put a rubber band around the area and left it overnight. Now you can't tell it was ever lifted off. Sheesh, I can really fix guitars now, cool!

tfarny said:
That fixed it, no issues. I stuck a drop of superglue gel into the lifted spot, pressed hard, wiped off all the excess right away, held it with my finger for a few minutes, then put a rubber band around the area and left it overnight. Now you can't tell it was ever lifted off. Sheesh, I can really fix guitars now, cool!

Honorary PhD in luthierology.  :laughing7:

Back