Binding color question (subjective, I know)

bigfatpaul

Very subjective question, of course, but I want to solicit opinions on binding color: I'm looking to do a figured koa laminate top on a mahogany body and I'm torn between white binding or cream binding. Part of me thinks white will "pop" better against a darker koa, but I'm worried it may look a bit cheap and cream might be a bit classier. I'll be looking to do the neck as well, if that influences anything. Sway me. Thanks!

I would go for a light wood laminate accent between the two main woods rather than a binding. Though one thing not mentioned is what style of body this is. Some look better with binding than others.

I'm so proud of all the people who said "Cream, but Ivoroid is even better."  :icon_biggrin:

The Aaron said:
I'm so proud of all the people who said "Cream, but Ivoroid is even better."  :icon_biggrin:

Subjectively, this is how I feel as well.  Cream is nice, but I like Ivoroid better.  However, I did a camphor burl top with a cream binding, and now wish I had actually gone black.

I have a carved-top Soloist that was laminated with camphor burl and bound in black. I wish I could take a pic to post, but it's currently buried in storage. In the meantime, here's a shot of one of Great Ape's projects where he did a Camphor Burl top Strat with black binding...

P6140088.jpg

I just noticed that pic is hosted on Photobucket, so you may not be able to see it.

Edit: Here's a link to the "finished" thread with more pics, if that makes a difference in viewability. Gorgeous piece of canary for that neck, too.

I think those wood colorings would be better served with Cream / Ivoroid vs white.

Having said that, a natural masking or black binding would also work well.

I would also opt for the cream.
Yeah the white would pop more, but maybe too much.
In the context of what you will have with warm-hued dark wood, the cream will pop but be more harmonious.

Depends on the piece of wood I guess.  To me they are pretty close.  I think both start with white, add in some brown or black, and the difference is in the amount of yellow, with cream getting just the tiniest bit more.   

So if there's some yellow in the top go with cream.  If it's all shades of brown then ivory.

Back