Bigsby for mooncaster?

No idea on Bigsby models, but the mooncaster is carved top, so plan accordingly

Since the Mooncaster is a carved top, you would use the Bigsby B7 (B7G for Gold).

Also, I would recommend using a Wilkinson brass roller bridge...

thumbnail.asp

You can get them here for $24.95, or $26.95 for gold.

The rollers prevent string hangup, and the thing locks to its mounting posts so it doesn't wobble around.

I would also recommend locking tuners and a low-friction (Graphtec) or roller (LSR) nut. Put all that together, and you end up with a fairly repeatable action out of the thing.

Thanks! No can do on roller bridge as I will be transplanting JTV Variax electrionics into the Mooncaster. Graphtec piezos will be necessary. There are a few guys that have put bigsbys on JTVs. I will be doing a warmoth V with bigsby first, so if any issues can do the mooncaster without bigsby.

Cagey said:
Since the Mooncaster is a carved top, you would use the Bigsby B7 (B7G for Gold).

Also, I would recommend using a Wilkinson brass roller bridge...

thumbnail.asp

You can get them here for $24.95, or $26.95 for gold.

The rollers prevent string hangup, and the thing locks to its mounting posts so it doesn't wobble around.

I would also recommend locking tuners and a low-friction (Graphtec) or roller (LSR) nut. Put all that together, and you end up with a fairly repeatable action out of the thing.

The problem with Bigsbys is they're notoriously inconsistent about returning to neutral, so you end up out of tune a lot. Dragging strings across stationary saddles exacerbates the problem; rollers mitigate it. If you're going to use piezo saddles and you want a vibrato, you might want to consider a Wilkinson-style bridge such as a Wilkinson VS-100 or a Fender AmStd Trem. That way the saddles move with the bridge instead of acting as friction points for the strings. They're naturally more repeatable as well, and have wider range.

I'd urge you to think really hard about using piezos on any trem. Simply because the trem itself injects a crapload of noise. Make sure it's set up floating whether you normally use a floating trem or not, otherwise you get a slamming door every time you release the trem. Also you need to stuff the springs with something (I used an 80's sock tie cut up and pulled through the strings).

Not to completely derail the topic, but I'm surprised I haven't seen any forum Mooncasters yet.

Back