Bigsby B7 on Epiphone SG G-400 1966

jrfox92

So, for Christmas santa got me a pair of dimarzio pickups, an allparts roller bridge, and a shiny bigsby b7 + vibrate. The only thing is, the B7 isn't long enough, which is strange. From surfing around the forums I've heard that it's usually longer than the end of the guitar, but in my case it's shorter. I've even done the recommended tactic for putting it on the SG by flipping and grinding a little on the hinge-plate. My dad thinks we'd either have to cut up the end of the guitar, or just be rid of the vibramate and move the whole thing down enough so it'd fit properly.  :help:
IMG348_zps1b36a2d6.jpg

Bummer your having a rough time with your Bigsby and Vibramate.
I have a Vibramate on my Warmoth V and it worked out great.  I am no expert, but I think the problem is the Bigsby B-7.
That model is made for use on arch top guitars.  I would take a look at the Vibramate V5-ST.
It does not have the little tail that hangs over the end of your geetar; it only fits on the top.
You can check em out here:

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-ST.php

Also, the folks at Vibramate are very helpful and happy to answer questions if you give them a call.
Good luck and post some pics of what ever you end up with...
:rock-on:

Yeah, technically, I'm doing everything wrong. But some guys over at EverythingSG have done it, and I always thought that long-tail appearance, like the old SG's, looked a thousand times better than that little B7. I'm probably just gonna go ahead and cut the tail end of my SG to fit, since I don't plan on taking this off.    :icon_scratch:

If you don't plan on taking it off, why not just leave off the vibramate and mount the B7 to the body?  Seems easier than hacking away wood just to use a part designed to make it so you don't put holes in your wood.

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
If you don't plan on taking it off, why not just leave off the vibramate and mount the B7 to the body?  Seems easier than hacking away wood just to use a part designed to make it so you don't put holes in your wood.

-Mark
Yeah, that was my thought, but I can't take out those stub-thing-a-ma-jigs and I don't want to actually splinter the guitar from that point. I'm still working it out, tomorrow I'm taking it to my professional-luthier buds to get a second-third-however many opinion.

Back