Big Names Using Warmoth Guitars ?

I got to play Hammett's Kendrick GWS amp the day they were boxing it up to ship to him. Without a doubt the best sounding amp I have ever played through. Then again, at $5K, it darn well should have been. The guys had to pry the thing from my hands so the UPS guy could put it in the truck.

I'm pretty sure the Fernandes is actually just a fernandes. In a Guitar World mag a while back he talked about how he changed the fernandes logo around to spell out Edna. The Warmoth association is probably parts for his fender strats.

That is kinda what I was guessing, but all the searching I have done on the web has only produced the fact that he has a crap load of guitars, so I guess it's anyone's guess.

m4rk0 said:
Soloshchenko said:
The highest profile player I'd heard of using a Warmoth (the only one who I own records by) was the guy from Weezer. He had an old blue Warmoth strat that he always played.

I think that there are a lot more and 'higher' profile players..

from the old board:
SRV
Eddie Van Halen
Michael Anthony
Richie Sambora
Joe Bonamassa
Adrian Belew
Prince
Manny Carlton - Nazareth
Eric Clapton
Billy Gibbons
Eric Johnson - Hollow Strat body
Jeff Cook - Alabama
Lee Greenwood
Jerry Jeff Walker
Kurt Hammit
Death Cab for Cutie
Paul Simon
Jack the Hack

I think Aerosmith was added to that recently as well.

I think Nuno Bettencourt's original N4 guitar was a Warmoth before he hooked up with Washburn.

I just got this picture from Leo Lyons, Bass Player extraordinaire of Ten Years After. He's at a CD signing on tour somewhere in Germany...

Attachments

• LeoLyonsShirt.jpg
    LeoLyonsShirt.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 330
I recently saw The Rentals, which is fronted by the former bass player of Weezer.  I swear he had a telecaster-style (original p-bass) Warmoth bass neck on his beat up P-Bass.  It sat on a stand all night and he played it on the last song or two.

I was reading old guitar magazines and found out Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam had two basses named NBA 1 and NBA 2, which were Warmoth bodies & necks assembled by Mike Lull at Guitar Works in Seattle. Unfortunately he destroyed both of those... :sad1:

I believe there are musicians out there playing Fender (or whatever) guitars and basses that have replaced the original necks with Warmoth. More than we're likely to know. As one of those, myself, I've been pleasantly surprised to find others in this town (and ones passing through) that have made the switch. Satisfaction being as high as it appears - this will end up being a one stop shop for myself and many others  :guitaristgif:

Kirst Novaselic (pardon my spelling)  the bassist for Nirvana, had four ibanez eagle basses (j bass copy).
I read somewhere that he had his tech replace one of the necks with an all rosewood neck.
Does anyone know more about this, was the neck warmoth?

I would think that a lot of the players that plays Fender style guitar or basses probably uses Warmoth products more than we'd know... it's really that Warmoth is not a guitar maker, but more of a replacement parts dealer so they don't get mentioned by famous players much. Besides I think if Warmoth starts sponsoring players Fender might not like it.

CD said:
I'm pretty sure the Fernandes is actually just a fernandes. In a Guitar World mag a while back he talked about how he changed the fernandes logo around to spell out Edna. The Warmoth association is probably parts for his fender strats.

Bingo!  The "Edna" Fernandes is indeed just a Fernandes. 

Thepriebster said:
Regardless of techs ordering guitars for artists, I just never see pics of headstocks with either nothing written on them or with a Warmoth logo.

Well, all of those un-licsensed Fender Logos on the interernet have to go on something.

Although we associate Warmoth with words like quality and custom.  To some, they just sell parts.  To them they are no different from Allparts or something like that.  I just bought a case for my new build.  The sales guy asked me what I had.  I said, "It's a Warmoth J-Bass."  He said, "Oh, a copy made form parts?"  While his statement is correct, he implies that it is inferior to what it's modeled after.  I assert many have this view.  Also, some top name players may have endorsements from companies that Warmoth is liscensed to reproduce.  For example, how would it look for a Fender endorsee to publicly endorse Warmoth?  I'm also assuming there's no financial gain for an artist to come out and endorse Warmoth, so why would they go out of their way to give a free endorsement for a company they are a customer of?  I bet if you asked them, they'd tell you if they have Warmoth stuff.

The Warmoth users on this forum are the Big Names as far as I'm concerned.

The Market is so trend driven, it takes fearless rebels such as yourselves to turn the tide.

I was somewhat surprised to see the recent interest in vintage Fender Jazz and Precision basses, because a large part of the high-end bass market was driven by the fact that old Fender bass necks warped like willows... bass players had Spectors and Foderas and Alembics out the wazoo in the early 90's, cause there were so few old functioning Fender basses. Now they're everywhere. Someone recently did a count-up in Vintage Guitar Magazine and among the online dealers, and found that at any given time there are roughly 10 times as many "authentic" 1958 and 1959 Les Paul Standards for sale as were ever even manufactured, and I suspect that it's even worse for Stratocasters, Telecasters & old Fender basses - they're so much easier to fake. There are Warmoths everywhere - just don't check the neck pocket, cause you just spent $8000.... In the early 80's a very few dealers like Gruhn has some old Fenders, now there are dozens of dealers who each have dozens of 50's and 60's Fenders.

Also, Warmoth & USA Custom do a sprightly amount of OEM manufacturing, those "Nash" and "Bill Crook" Telecaster repros come from places that don't cut all their own wood. Tom Anderson... A larger company like Warmoth can find more good wood, cheaper, than a guy working in his shed. Granted, the shed guy may have fabulous assembly & finishing skills - that's what it's all about - but he'd be crazy not to buy wood from the largest suppliers. It'd be like making computers and etching your own motherboards.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

The Market is so trend driven, it takes fearless rebels such as yourselves to turn the tide.

That's very nice, politically correct, and true...in that most companies depend on repeat sales. Warmoth has to also reach out for new customers. How they elect to remain cost effective and accomplish that goal is (I'm sure) often discussed. Obviously maintaining their friendly and effective handling of both new and return folk is key, and always will be. As the market is trend driven - they might make use of their current base (known and little known) to validate satisfaction/quality with their products in their ads. If they could justify reaching out to newer 'name' personalities - I have to believe the benefit to their advertising campaign would be enhanced. It would be presumptive to assume that's easily done, successfully. Of course......IF sponsored - *I* would certainly be happy to publicly endorse Warmoth with great enthusiasm  :icon_biggrin:

I wouldn't even charge 'em to wear a hat & T-shirt.... :hello2:

(address's on file, Gregg) :binkybaby:

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:

I agree. I cringe every time I see a picture of  guy with an ESP endorsment with an ESP or LTD Eclipse (an LP) that has tape over the toggle hole, most of the knobs removed and often tape over an the hole of the removed neck pickup as well.
Why can't they just build a guitar with just a bridge pickup and a knob or get an endorsement with someone who makes a guitar like that?

»$¡r ¤ §¢hmøøþ¥« said:
Kirst Novaselic (pardon my spelling)  the bassist for Nirvana, had four ibanez eagle basses (j bass copy).
I read somewhere that he had his tech replace one of the necks with an all rosewood neck.
Does anyone know more about this, was the neck warmoth?

It's Krist, and he's not much of a bassist, quite honestly.  Still, he's a household name, so it'd be cool to add him to that list.

Hey Schmoop, your name just got a WHOLE lot harder to spell.  What gives?  :eek:

Mapleg4 said:
I agree. I cringe every time I see a picture of  guy with an ESP endorsment with an ESP or LTD Eclipse (an LP) that has tape over the toggle hole, most of the knobs removed and often tape over an the hole of the removed neck pickup as well.
Why can't they just build a guitar with just a bridge pickup and a knob or get an endorsement with someone who makes a guitar like that?

Or just disconnect the second pickup and leave it in there.  Sheesh!

Back