Best ways to fix neck dive?

cromulent

I got an extra light Tele body, and perhaps unsurprisingly I'm getting a bit of neck dive.  What are the preferred ways to address this?  Thicker strap?  Add weight somehow?

Can you take pic of your guitar? I’d start with swapping tuner buttons and a strap with leather inside.

Hipshot half moon plastic minis knocked about six ounces off the end of my tele.  It made a difference.

https://skyway.s3.amazonaws.com/SportHiTech_Hipshot_Tuner_button_FAQ.pdf

rick2 said:
Can you take pic of your guitar? I’d start with swapping tuner buttons and a strap with leather inside.

I will when I can.  I have the Ratio locking tuners which are maybe a tad heavy, but I'd prefer to keep them.

Drill the body near the rear strap button with a 3/8 inch bit and fill with lead plug, use wood plug to fill end , paint and rock!! :headbang:

Let me restate ... Keep the tuners. ... Replace the buttons with plastic.

When I saw Mike Gordon playing an acoustic bass guitar when he toured with Leo Kottke back in 2005 or 6, he had about 10" of what looked like 1/2" tow chain hanging from the rear strap button to combat dive.  This may not be a solution that works for you, but it looked kinda badass.

Relocate the strap buttons to shift the center of balance. No extra weight needed and it will work with any strap for the rest of the guitar's life.

If you attach a spring clamp (with rubber grips to not mar the finish) to the end of a wooden broom stick handle or similar, the headstock will be supported while you are playing and alleviate the neck dive. While I have never seen this done, I feel very strongly that it would work!

Spud said:
If you attach a spring clamp (with rubber grips to not mar the finish) to the end of a wooden broom stick handle or similar, the headstock will be supported while you are playing and alleviate the neck dive. While I have never seen this done, I feel very strongly that it would work!
you mean like a unipod ?

teleme01 said:
Spud said:
you mean like a unipod ?
It is like a Fender "Fat finger" on steroids sustain and no dead spots for days!!!
Exactly! requires no guitar mod and may become a new trend! (I may apply for a patent)

cromulent said:
How can I ensure I won't mar the finish of the broom handle though?

Well in my vision the broom handle would get naturally reliced over time thereby increasing it's "stage cred"!! 

I wonder if it would work to attach the strap to the headstock like we often see on acoustic guitars.

Jeremiah said:
I wonder if it would work to attach the strap to the headstock like we often see on acoustic guitars.

i call that the "hootenanny" strap.

The Aaron said:
Jeremiah said:

i call that the "hootenanny" strap.
And who doesn't love a good hootenanny?!!!

Back