Best way to sell instruments

Michaelga

I have a Carvin 6-string bass and a Fender Strat to sell. I've posted on Craigslist but have received a few emails that are clearly scammers. I haven't sold anything in years. How do you sell your gear? What do you think is the best method?

Michael

For local pickup cash sales, there are Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace.  Both seem to be populated by flakes, but actual sales do happen.  For national exposure, and if you are willing to ship, there are eBay and reverb.com.  Both take a piece of the action and both recently installed new policies where they rat you out to the IRS for total sales over $600.

Bill

I believe OfferUp has taken a pretty big bite out of the Craigslist local sale universe, and has some superior search functionality and scammer controls (i.e., you need an account to respond to an ad).  I've had good luck as a buyer and a seller for tools and household goods on that site, but have not tried selling musical gear.  Unlike Craigslist, listings remain up until the poster removes them, so there's a fair amount of cruft built up.  But as a seller, that's not your problem, is it? 

I usually skip all the hassle, schlep gear to a local music store, and take the painful hit on price. Yes it hurts some, but boom gear gone, money in hand. Sure, they get to make a profit off you, but you get to skip meeting potentially sketchy folks in a parking lot or at your home etc etc.  :icon_thumright:

I've used Craigslist with success for years, as recently as last week.

The Aaron said:
I've used Craigslist with success for years, as recently as last week.

Same here, but only person, and We meet in the local PD dept parking lot in front of two big windows, and 3 cameras.

First and last time I used Craigslist (approx ten years ago) I listed some chain link fencing and and associated poles etc. for free.
I put it out on my grass parking strip. Heard crazy amount of noise at 1am. Saw man and woman with pickup truck loading it up under the streetlight. Halfway through, the woman drops trow and proceeds to micturate on lawn. I knew immediately Craigslist wasn't for me! :laughing7:

I thought to myself, wow way to stay classy! True story btw.

It depends on the items and there are loads of scammers.  Small stuff sells well on ebay, but there are scammers.  Bigger stuff can be sold on Craig's list, but there are scammers.  Local stores take a big cut, almost like they're scamming you ... What's the alternative ... live in a cave and wait for civilization to become civilized?  I'd try to use Craig's list first, doesn't sell in two weeks, then try here for two weeks, then give ebay a shot, one week, then the music store and be done with it.  Or part it out on ebay, but how much time do you have?

Depends on the item and price.  If it’s a common item that people commonly buy, then I use CL as well as the forums I am on. 
If it’s a not some common item that 90% of musicians use or if it’s over 500, I use forums and Reverb

Common- Squire Strat
Not Common - White Falcon

rick2 said:
It depends on the items and there are loads of scammers.  Small stuff sells well on ebay, but there are scammers.  Bigger stuff can be sold on Craig's list, but there are scammers.  Local stores take a big cut, almost like they're scamming you ... What's the alternative ... live in a cave and wait for civilization to become civilized?  I'd try to use Craig's list first, doesn't sell in two weeks, then try here for two weeks, then give ebay a shot, one week, then the music store and be done with it.  Or part it out on ebay, but how much time do you have?
Can we sell non-Warmoth items on this site? I'm in no hurry to sell. I just need to weed out instruments I just don't play anymore and free up some space.

Michael

I've seen gits parted out with no issues.  Might be worth perusing the for sale section to see what's been done before.

Michaelga said:
rick2 said:
Can we sell non-Warmoth items on this site? I'm in no hurry to sell. I just need to weed out instruments I just don't play anymore and free up some space.

Michael

Also, on occasion, many of us have posted “Pay It Forward” listings free of charge, donating gear that we are no longer using to those really in need.  Not just lurkers looking for freebies, but really hoping to provide for a need with charity as a motivator. 

Just sold a Warmoth tele on craigslist a couple weeks ago (actually for nearly what it cost me to build 3 years ago surprisingly enough) so I could order a Warmoth bass body and neck  :icon_thumright:
I have great success selling stuff on craiglist.

Back