Best Strat Replacement Pup ?

Volitions Advocate

Hey all.. I"ve got a Indonesian Squier Strat that I havent played for about 2 years... because I've bought a couple other guitars and I just can't stand the crappy everything It has.  But its still a good funcional guitar regardless.  I"m planning on replacing all the electronics in it because I've had problems with it ever since I bought it (it was my first electric guitar)  So im replacing the parts.  My question is what pups give you the best thick strat sound?

do hot rails sound like HB?  IS there a good Seymour set to use?  I was thinking of going with a Dirty harry set cause i Figure I've got to try out the Rio stuff... 

Eventually I'd like to replace the neck and perhaps the pickguard.  I have a lot of cleaning to do though because its got a few too many stickers on it that I need to clean off.  I need to measure the neck pocket first and see if that can even be done.
the Nut width on this thing is way too small.  itmakes me wonder how I ever played on only this guitar for so many years.

Hot rails do sound like humbuckers.

I'm not much of a single coil guy, but I did want to have a true single coil guitar, for whatever reason.  That said, I went with the Rio Grandes and I am NOT disappointed.  I used the Muy Grande in the bridge, Dirty Harry Jr. in the middle and a Vintage Tallboy in the neck.  Very versatile setup.  Can definitely get Strat tones.  BONUS:  setting 2 on the 5 way switch gives a killer metal tone, as well.

I just recently got my first Rio Grande single coils after using a lot of their HB and P90 products.

Don't have any of the Strat Dirty Harrys, but got a Tele neck Dirty Harry to put in the neck position of the '64 Gibson Melody Maker I'm in the process of restoring/hot-rodding. The Dirty Harrys are advertised as P90's in an SC form factor; the Tele neck Dirty Harry doesn't sound quite like a P90 to my ear, but very nice and a lot closer to a P90 than a regular Strat SC pickup stuck in my test Strat.

I'm in the process of doing my first top routed Strat in a while and may have hit on a Holy Grail of pickup sound: Rio Grande Vintage Tallboy in neck, Half-Breed in middle and an SD JBJr at bridge (using an existing S-S-S gold anodized pickguard so needed the JB in SC config). This just completely rocks the Casbah! Great vintage tone at middle/bridge with a bit of extra Rio Grande balls, kick to JBJr for HB "turbo mode".

I like the Dimarzio DP-181 "Fast track", and DP-186  "Cruiser" for the Strat...

If I were you I would try the Bare Knuckles.  They are the best aftermarket or boutique singles I have come across.    I have compared them with the Rio Grande Tall Boys and I the Knuckles sounded much better..More clearer tones....Also check out Suhr pickups...They make a single coil that sounded aged and has a nice mellow sound too it.  Its pretty much my job to test all these pickups and I like the Bare Knuckles and the Suhrs the best.  The Bare KNuckles are the most authentic and best sounding but the Suhrs are their own animal and sound good too.  Plus Suhr has the noiseless system that allows you to use any set of pickups you want (as long as they are standard polarity)....

www.peerlesstone.com

Bare Knuckles may be a bit too much for that guitar. Drop some SD's in there or a mini 59 in the bridge.

best thick strat sound eh, suprised no one has said anything about fender pups, considering thats where the sound originally came from

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Vintage-Noiseless-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301632

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-69-Strat-Pickup-Set?sku=301637

heard great things about both

Kinman's are really nice if you want to get rid of any hum issues, but unfortunately a bit expensive. I replaced the pair of Texas Specials in my Lonestar, much smoother in my opinion.

Volitions Advocate said:
My question is what pups give you the best thick strat sound?

Just did the same thing: Lollar Specials!!

I have NEVER heard pick-ups that sound this nice. ACME GutiarWorks has some sound clips and his site has links to articles about it. You can call Lollar himself and talk to him about the sound you're looking for but I really don't think I will ever buy a different pair of pick-ups. Buy what you would like but I can guarantee that if you are looking for the richest fullest tone you can get out of some single coils you can't beat these.

seriously dude

Back