Best licensed Floyd beside Schaller?

I

ildar

I'm in need of a Floyd for a guitar I'm building, but really don't want/need to shell out upwards of $200. It's an axe I'll use sparingly, one or two tunes per gig, no more, no less. Anyone with words of experience about one of the lesser Floyds, good or bad?

There's probably a lot of opinions of licensed Floyd Rose Tremolos, but I will always want an Original Floyd.  Sorry.

I hear ya, but I just can't justify that kind of $$ on a less-than-backup axe. If it was my number one and a Floyd was called for...that's a different question completely.

If you're not gonna go nuts with the bar the whole set why not stick with a vintage trem or Wilkinson?

I have no idea how diffficult it would be routing for one of these, but I think the ibanez edge floyds are fine. Got mine for $96 on ebay, and it looks and plays new. Not much of a locking trem guy at all, but if I feel the urge to play one, I'm completely satisfied with it.

CD said:
If you're not gonna go nuts with the bar the whole set why not stick with a vintage trem or Wilkinson?
Two reasons: First, for the couple of songs for which this guitar will be used, the vibrato use will be heavy, think 80's.
Secondly, and more importantly, the body's already drilled for a Floyd.

ildar said:
Two reasons: First, for the couple of songs for which this guitar will be used, the vibrato use will be heavy, think 80's.
Secondly, and more importantly, the body's already drilled for a Floyd.

Is the bridge rout recessed or non-recessed?  If the rout is recessed, be aware not all licensed Floyds are the same dimensions.  If you look at the bridge routing options at Warmoth, you'll see the Schaller and Original bridges are slightly different.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Recessed, or Non-recessed, the answer is Gotoh.

I've been checking those out, they can be had for about $125, enough of a difference to consider it as an option.
Do you have one? How does it compare to an original?

It's what they used on the Peavey Wolfgang guitars, even Eddie's personal guitars had them not the OFR (if I remember correctly). I've read a lot of praise of them at eddievanhalen.com but I haven't used them personally.

ildar said:
TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Recessed, or Non-recessed, the answer is Gotoh.

I've been checking those out, they can be had for about $125, enough of a difference to consider it as an option.
Do you have one? How does it compare to an original?

Brass sustain block, tilt back fine tuners, allen screw adjustment on the slide in bar, feel is nice & solid, has spring retainers screws.

Looksy.

TremsetterAtZero.jpg

TFS6GotohControlCloseup.jpg

TFS6AllBodyStrap.jpg

That's a nice looking piece-the bridge too!

The spring retaining screws are a nice, smart idea. Ditto the brass block, though it's debatable whether it affects the tone.
I'm sold.

Back