Best 12 string neck ever. Rosewood.

barrysrq

One of my all-time favorite guitars is my Thinline Tele XII string. I am a major fan of 12 string guitars with rich, orchestral sound; not so much the compressed jingle-jangle usually associated with 12s. The world has one Roger McGuinn, and many imitators, I admire the talent but want a different sound.

Ordered up a ’65 12-string neck, Indian Rosewood on Indian Rosewood modern construction, black Tusq nut, and 12 Grover Mini 18:1 tuners. The body is Fender, ash. I can’t play the super skinny necks on most 12s; Warmoth’s 1.75 inch width fits just right. A Boatneck profile fills the hand.

The folks at Warmoth outdid themselves on this one. Perfect fretwork, perfect fit. The neck is stunning, with straight grain from heel to tip. Fingerboard is matched so well that it looks like a 1-piece. And, the sound captures that pipe-organ richness I seek. The boatneck is extremely stable: If I neglect playing it for a couple weeks it holds perfect tuning for next time. Notes sustain until you’re just tired of hearing them.

The raw rosewood benefitted from a surface sanding with 400, then 800 grit, now it feels like silk. I wanted to protect the wood, and foolishly applied guitar polish. To my horror, the open pores of the wood turned into a mass of white streaks as the polish dried. I found a product called Fret Doctor, non-waxy, non-silicone, and rubbed the entire surface, it lifted out the waxy streaks and left a rich color to the rosewood. (I have no connection with the company).

Huge thanks to the artists at Warmoth.

Attachments

• XII neck comp.jpg
    XII neck comp.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,222
that must weigh a ton.  !2 string neck....rosewood...all this tuners....WOW

Looks killer!!!

Beautiful piece of rosewood you got there. And I agree, Fret Doctor is a fine product. Does an astounding job on Pao Ferro fret boards.

Back