BBQ Tele

PhilHill

This is one I built a couple years ago for a friend who teaches guitar at a community college and gigs with a country/jazz band.
He showed up one day with a Wormoth body and neck and a bottle of Jameson.  He wanted something charred yet red. This is what resulted.
He has used it since, so it has a scratch or two and one cymbal ding, but has held up pretty well I guess.

Attachments

• BBQ5a.jpg
    BBQ5a.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 476
  • BBQ6a.jpg
    BBQ6a.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 419
  • BBQ3a.jpg
    BBQ3a.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 382
  • BBQ4a.jpg
    BBQ4a.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 407
  • BBQ7a.jpg
    BBQ7a.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 330
  • BBQ2a.jpg
    BBQ2a.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 337
  • BBQ8a.jpg
    BBQ8a.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 343
That's a fine piece of work.  I like when an instrument looks like it gets played by a human being.  Great job on that.  I hope you didn't get too far into the Jamesons until after you finished soldering.  Burnt fingers and scorched pots are no fun.

Bagman67 said:
That's a fine piece of work.  I like when an instrument looks like it gets played by a human being.  Great job on that.  I hope you didn't get too far into the Jamesons until after you finished soldering.  Burnt fingers and scorched pots are no fun.

Thank You. No, the scotch was only consumed during the planning stages. LOL
I can build ones that rival the high dollar "Luthier" type, and will if the customer wants it, but I found over the years that most people don't really want that. Their afraid to play the thing for fear they'll scratch it or something, and the price tends to turn them off. Most of the folks I've dealt with want some thing unusual that's solidly constructed and will play well. They don't want a multi-thousand dollar instrument that they have to worry about constantly. They admire and lust after the PRS Dragon, or the Fender Custom Shop Special, but they buy the middle of the road stuff.

This is nice. I like the casual yet pleasing look. What is the pickguard material? Brown on this one is a plus.

Rgand said:
This is nice. I like the casual yet pleasing look. What is the pickguard material? Brown on this one is a plus.
Thanks for the kind words. Actually the pickguard is matte black. A combination of the lighting, the crappy camera in my S10, and my lack of photographic skills make it look brown. But, now that you mention it, I'm thinkin' dark brown would look good.
As far as my skill with a camera, I'll put it this way, my Sister is legally blind, and most of the family thinks her pictures are always better than mine. :sad1:

PhilHill said:
Rgand said:
Thanks for the kind words. Actually the pickguard is matte black. A combination of the lighting, the crappy camera in my S10, and my lack of photographic skills make it look brown. But, now that you mention it, I'm thinkin' dark brown would look good.
As far as my skill with a camera, I'll put it this way, my Sister is legally blind, and most of the family thinks her pictures are always better than mine. :sad1:
Thanks. I've been looking for a good source of brown PG material but haven't found one yet. I guess no one likes brown or maybe it's too Earthy or something. Maybe I'll find some brown high impact plastic sheet and use that some day.

Rgand said:
PhilHill said:
Rgand said:
Thanks. I've been looking for a good source of brown PG material but haven't found one yet. I guess no one likes brown or maybe it's too Earthy or something. Maybe I'll find some brown high impact plastic sheet and use that some day.
Amazon carries this kind of stuff https://www.amazon.com/Kydex-Plastic-Sheet-Coyote-Brown/dp/B00FA3EE2W/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1579481476&refinements=p_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A11539330011&s=industrial&sr=1-1
But yeah, it's hard to find.

If anybody is looking for brown pickguard material, Mike at Quickguards had gotten in brown bakelite last time I had one made.  Didn't try it, but it sounded interesting.  Don't know if he still has any, but he's great to work with.

vetteman said:
If anybody is looking for brown pickguard material, Mike at Quickguards had gotten in brown bakelite last time I had one made.  Didn't try it, but it sounded interesting.  Don't know if he still has any, but he's great to work with.
Mike's a good man to deal with too. I found the best way to contact him was to go to his web site, and send a text to the phone number he has listed. His voice mailbox is usually full, and he gets so many emails, yours is just as likely to get missed as answered.  :icon_thumright:

Love the look of that Tele. What kind of sauce did you use for the finish, southern or KC?

PhilHill said:
Bagman67 said:
I hope you didn't get too far into the Jamesons until after you finished soldering.

No, the scotch was only consumed during the planning stages

You are gettin' my Irish up there, buddy. :evil4:

Seamas said:
Love the look of that Tele. What kind of sauce did you use for the finish, southern or KC?

PhilHill said:
Bagman67 said:
I hope you didn't get too far into the Jamesons until after you finished soldering.

I just now noticed that myself. A thousand pardons Laddy, for my unforgivable trespass in calling proper Irish Whiskey by the low form term of "scotch". I know not what came over me.  :doh: :doh: :doh:

The Tele is actually Chicago Backyard Sauce. I charred the body, then went over it with fine and xtra-fine scotchbrite to remove the loose charcoal, then went over it with oxblood color leather dye, followed by Tru Oil.

Nice guitar  :icon_thumright:

Though you have your whiskeys and such mixed up. Irish Whiskey is Irish Whiskey, Scotch is Whisky from Scotland. The spelling is less important and the term laddy is Scots also not Irish.

stratamania said:

Though you have your whiskeys and such mixed up. Irish Whiskey is Irish Whiskey, Scotch is Whisky from Scotland. The spelling is less important and the term laddy is Scots also not Irish.

I had to throw the laddy in there for a little extra dig, my Mother's people were from Wales, so I have a small amount of duty to give both the Scots and the Irish a hard time. :evil4: :icon_thumright:

Thank You though for the compliment on the guitar.

PhilHill said:
stratamania said:

I had to throw the laddy in there for a little extra dig, my Mother's people were from Wales, so I have a small amount of duty to give both the Scots and the Irish a hard time. :evil4: :icon_thumright:

Thank You though for the compliment on the guitar.

Not at all it is a good looking guitar.

PhilHill said:
Seamas said:

PhilHill said:
Bagman67 said:

I just now noticed that myself. A thousand pardons Laddy, for my unforgivable trespass in calling proper Irish Whiskey by the low form term of "scotch". I know not what came over me.  :doh: :doh: :doh:

The Tele is actually Chicago Backyard Sauce. I charred the body, then went over it with fine and xtra-fine scotchbrite to remove the loose charcoal, then went over it with oxblood color leather dye, followed by Tru Oil.

Sweet! (at least you didn't use that glop you guys call pizza as sauce!)

Personally I am a fan of both styles of whiskey/whisky---though I think that Tele would be best paired with a nice bourbon!

Back