bassists: would this work?

metalheadgreg

Hello,

I want to order a Precision body and Precision neck from Warmoth.....BUT with the dual Jazz pickup arrangement instead of the P pickup.

Is this possible?  would the strings line-up properly with the Jazz pups?  (isn't the Precision neck wider than the Jazz neck?)

I love the look, feel, and balance of the Precision body and neck, but prefer the tone of dual Jazz pups instead.  I really love the thickness of the Precision neck.

thanks!
Greg

It's the string nut that is wider spaced on a precision neck than a jazz neck,
however im pretty sure that the line up with the jazz pickups would be pretty good if not as good as with a jazz neck.
Im going on a guess from my 5 string z bass which has a neck jazz pickup, and its nut spacing is the 5 string equivilant to the jazz 4 string,
and all of the strings align fine apart from the G string which is only a little bit off.
So im presuming that the nut spacing of the p bass will give the pickups a fairly uniform alignment with the pole pieces.
I just checked and you can have warmoth route the neck pickup route to be bridge width pickup aswell, which im guessing any mis alignments would be at the neck pickup
as its wider spaced there than on a  jazz neck, but not so much in the bridge position.

Tons of people put P necks on their Js, but I think it's more common to put a J neck on a P.

If you are worried about it, try one of two things.
Option one- use pickups with blade style poles.
Option two- have the body and pickguard routed for two bridge sized pickups. Keep in mind, however, that your neck pickup will have to be custom made, as it needs to be RWRP and underwound.

Back