Bass tuner hole reamer

pjs

I'm building a jazz bass, just got the neck. The tuner holes are too small for the inserts, and I understand the best bet is to ream them using a tapered hand reamer. I've been searching and can't find one big enough for bass tuning machines (I'm using Schaller BMLs, 11/16 or 17.4mm hole). Anyone know where to get one the proper size? I'm overseas, so online is probably my best bet.

Thanks in advance, great site and resource.

They fit just fine, without any issues. Otherwise, your best bet is to use sandpaper to open the holes up a bit.

If your neck was routed for BMLs they'll fit. If you got a finish on your neck that's probably why they're too snug.  Sand LIGHTLY and keep rechecking fitment.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like a pretty tight fit, but I'll give sanding a shot. Appreciate the knowledge.

img0157zdn.jpg

Push the bushes in with a G clamp like I did

Aw, don't be so hard on the guy. I remember waaaay back in the olden days when I didn't have a dishwasher. Life was tough. It got so bad sometimes that it was easier to just toss it all and go to Blood, Bath and Beyond (or whatever the hip joint for kitchen crap was back then) for a replacement set of eating/drinking utensils.

pjs said:
Ouch! No problems with splitting the wood?

None at all - gentle pressure with the G clamp just planed the finish off the inside of the ream with the bush.
Yes it was tight. - Just make sure you 'cushion' the clamp and push the bush in square - note the corrugated cardboard and blocks of wood to spread the load.

Twigman said:
pjs said:

None at all - gentle pressure with the G clamp just planed the finish off the inside of the ream with the bush.
Yes it was tight. - Just make sure you 'cushion' the clamp and push the bush in square - note the corrugated cardboard and blocks of wood to spread the load.

Be VERY careful here.  You split the neck by hammering the ferrules in or using massive pressure and its yours to keep.  The normal recommendation is to use finger pressure to push them in.

Wyliee said:
Twigman said:
pjs said:

Be VERY careful here.  You split the neck by hammering the ferrules in or using massive pressure and its yours to keep.  The normal recommendation is to use finger pressure to push them in.

...really struggling this 2nd time around...
This time using Fender Vintage RI Reverse nickel things and wary of splitting the wood have tried everything.....a dowel with sandpaper and lots of patience is probably the way to go but any advice is welcome this time.

Just read a post in this thread http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=1065.0 by CB which is what I shall try next....so simple and yet so bleeding obvious..

Back