Baritone Jaguar

Perry Combover

I am hoping that a meaty Jaguar body, jangly pickups and a ziricote over goncalo neck will make for a magical baritone.  Doug has the neck plate done, the neck is in the throws of W production, but after today's tooling, the body is ready...

Fat Pete said:
Looks good. What has the 'tooling' involved?

I guess tooling was the wrong word.  Just putting the pieces in the body.  There is something beautiful about a guy who is terrible at soldering, but is still able to make it work anyway.  :glasses9:

KG, do it.  It really is a great piece.  You don't have to pay extra for the contours and it's nice to have a bridge that works (not to mention the simplified electronics).  The Jazzmaster/Jaguar body has long been my favorite body design, but my least favorite overall design.  Here: problem solved.

Just maintain your stomach contents when I tell you that the head stock is right hand reverse!  :cool01:

Perry Combover said:
Fat Pete said:
Looks good. What has the 'tooling' involved?

I guess tooling was the wrong word.  Just putting the pieces in the body.  There is something beautiful about a guy who is terrible at soldering, but is still able to make it work anyway.  :glasses9:

I'm with you there. I used to be ok at soldering but it always seems a bit of a fight these days!

It looks like a Fender Black Top body, which I think are standard Jag 24" scale. Is the bridge in the right place for a baritone conversion?

Nice.. what flavor of jangle? Memphis, Liverpool, Nashville?

Sweet!

I think these pickup voicings, ie; Filtertron/TV Jones, and Single Coils, even P-90's shine the most in Baritones, and I think that Baritones shine the most with these pickup voicings.

Well, I am feeling a little down in the mouth.  As Fat Pete points out, the Jag does not work in its current configuration.  My neck arrived yesterday, so I was able to lay it out and measure it.  If I move the bridge back to just south of the pickguard, I can make it work.  Now I am trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle or if I should just start over with a 25 1/2 inch scale body.  It would be easier, but man, I really like this body.  :-\

swarfrat said:
Nice.. what flavor of jangle? Memphis, Liverpool, Nashville?

On a thoughtful and thorough recommendation from TonyFlyingSquirrel, I went with the Nashvilles.  I think it is a good call.  They were on sale at GFS at the time so I got em both for under $60. 

Perry Combover said:
Well, I am feeling a little down in the mouth.  As Fat Pete points out, the Jag does not work in its current configuration.  My neck arrived yesterday, so I was able to lay it out and measure it.  If I move the bridge back to just south of the pickguard, I can make it work.  Now I am trying to figure out if it's worth the hassle or if I should just start over with a 25 1/2 inch scale body.  It would be easier, but man, I really like this body.  :-\
Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news, man. Think of it as an opportunity though - just get another body for the baritone and a new neck for the Jag!

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
Is this a Bari neck on a Warmoth body, or another maker?

It is a Fender Blacktop Jaguar body that I bought on Ebay and spruced it up.  I was going to just have W do a Jazzmaster body for $375 and call it done, but the $150 Jag body caught my eye.  I didn't even stop to think that it was a different scale from the Jazzmaster. 

I got the neck yesterday and it is everything that I'd hoped for.  Now, decisions, decisions....

Fat Pete said:
Perry Combover said:
Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news, man. Think of it as an opportunity though - just get another body for the baritone and a new neck for the Jag!

I'm actually very glad you brought it up.  I was mentally prepared for it when the neck arrived.  Imagine my disgusted confusion if I'd actually strung that thing up!  :laughing7:

In any event, you may be onto something.  Two for the price of two!  :toothy10:  I'd actually really like to convert that Jag to a 12 string somehow.

Back