Baritone guitars

rauchman

Greetings,

I'm always exploring different guitar based options for a build.

Came across something on baritone guitars recently. Where do you see baritone guitars fitting in? Does one use a baritone as a guitar alternate, or something specific to the baritone?

From a build perspective, I see a lot baritone Tele's. I would think neck dive would be a problem, as well as the lower frets being waaaaaaaaay out there? Is there a Warmoth body shape that is preferred for a baritone build?

I did a baritone with the hybrid strat body (tele-fied strat) and I'm loving it. No neck dive, tons of fun to play. One thing I recommend with a baritone is bright-ish/not-too-fat sounding pickups, or in my case I put a bass cut control to tighten up the humbuckers.

72243522-D36D-4DD3-881D-54E85C14816E copy.jpeg

I have done 2 baritone teles with the Warmoth 28-5/8" conversion neck and I find them just to neck heavy.

I have done 2 different baritone teles using the Fender Sub-Sonic 27" scale necks and those hang much better but still need lighter tuners to combat neck dive.

I have a 27" scale Strat type in progress using the fender 27" scale neck and I just based on my dry fit it hangs much better.

to answer your question about what to use them for, I have used them In B-B tuning and C-C tuning to provide a different texture in blues and rock performances and recordings.

I have also used them in B-B and Drop A for metal.

I have wanted to build a 28" scale 7 string for tuning F#-B because I like playing low but I cannot get my mits to play an 8 string at all 🤣

My baritone Tele never had a neck dive issue, despite having a very very light body in the 3 lb range. No worries at all. I think Teles lend themselves well to Baritones as single coil voicings retain so much tightness to the low end, and nothing twangs like a Tele, but a BariTele adds so much more to it.

Love baritones! They’re very common in metal with players who want more “oomph in the pit of stomach” but without losing clarity

As noted by supertruper, lowered tunings are fairly common in blues and blues-rock (latter day ZZ Top being a great example)

I also think baris are great for jazz and jazz-adjacent music

One advantage of lowered tunings in general from my perspective, is that they make the whole instrument more usable for rhythm parts

I don’t presently own a bari, but i do keep guitars tuned in B-standard and dropped-A, would like to do a bari sometime

If you tune to C, you don't need a baritone guitar. You can use 12-54 strings on the 25.5" Fender scale length.

Last edited:
If you tune to C, you don't need a baritone guitar. You can use 12-54 strings on the 25.5" Fender scale length.

I've used C,G,C,G,C,D on a 24.75" LP using 0.10's with no ill effect. I do have to be mindful of not power picking/strumming though, as it can get flubby

Funny this thread should be resurrected. I am currently shooting a series of Warmoth videos where I talk about the Bari conversion neck, and baritone guitars in general: their role in a band and how they differ than a Bass6.

Back