Back by Popular Demand

Also, get off Cagey's lawn!

Srsly, Cagey, you're in a bit of a "if it's not what I know and like, it ain't worth a damn" spiral here.  You're too good for that.

A starcaster is kind of like a Dachshund. Yes, it's deformed, but it sort of needs to be to accomplish what it was meant for. An offset semihollow is gonna look weird. But there aint no other way to combine the two orthogonal types of goodness.

:eek:ccasion14:  Dude, that had me rollin.... :toothy12:

Cagey said:
I don't see the attraction, but then, I'm a weirdo. I still think Gibson SGs are Über-cool, although I don't really want one. Not really. Well, maybe. Ok, it's a stupid design but I love it! And I want Updown's Yella Terra! There. I said it.

I just don't get the fascination with the Starcaster. What am I missing?

Oh, yeah. There's no accounting for taste. Silly me.

I do identify with the youthful catalog lusting... used to get Mesa Boogie and Carvin catalogs back when I was a grasshopper and couldn't wait until the day I could order one of those rascals. Still get the Carvin catalogs 40+ years later. Those guys are persistent! If they'd have just sent me their best guitar back when they first got my address and stopped sending me catalogs, they'd have been farther ahead financially.
I couldn't agree more. I don't see the attraction, now if it's a vintage 60's 70's barn find, that's different. :dontknow:

But I do love the SG's, always have since finding AC/DC in the 70's... :headbang1:

DangerousR6 said:
But I do love the SG's, always have since finding AC/DC in the 70's... :headbang1:

Man... I got started in another cover group recently(don't know why... :doh:), first day of practice, and everyone including myself plays a cherry SG. That would be fine, except that we look like a crappy AC/DC tribute band.

:cool01:

Then you need to get a Gretsch Malcolm Young model, which will (a) make you look more accurately like an AC/DC tribute band, and (b) put a bad-ass guitar in your hands.

Concerning SG's:

I picked up a p90-loaded SG a couple weeks ago at my local big-box and took it for a spin.  I'm plugged into this Blackstar thingy, one of their new combo tube/modeling hybrid doodads at an appreciable volume, generating a little of that joyously blasphemous honk that the soapbar can generate through warm power tubes.    Guy the next aisle over is running a mexi-strat into a line 6 baby spyder (and to his credit, making it sound pretty good, considering).  The Gibson rep happened to be in the store, and comes over to elicit my testimony about what a fine axe I had in my hands (to be honest, for a used bottom-of-the-line SG with P90's, if I weren't into rolling my own, it was quite attractively priced).  But then he asks me if I know why my guitar sounds so much better than the thin-sounding noise coming from 12 feet away, and gets all breathless waiting for my answer. 

I wanted to tell him,
"I'm playing through a tube amp at a volume I'm almost embarrassed to employ in a Guitar Center, and he's playing a strat into a toy amp at bedroom volume."

Instead I spotted the Gibson logo on his shirt and said,"P90's, dude, there's no substitute."  Might as well make the guy feel good about his product.  I endured a few minutes of ill-informed hype, and got back to kicking tires.

When I got the email from fender today, I kinda wondered if Warmoth knew Fender was going to bring back the Starcaster.  Warmoth has made parts for larger producers before, so it wouldn't be too surprising if Fender was sourcing from Warmoth.

Entirely just speculation on my part.

Jet-Jaguar said:
When I got the email from fender today, I kinda wondered if Warmoth knew Fender was going to bring back the Starcaster.  Warmoth has made parts for larger producers before, so it wouldn't be too surprising if Fender was sourcing from Warmoth.

Entirely just speculation on my part.
Quite possible, the produce parts for many other guitar makers... :dontknow:

One thing you can count on is that if this is indeed the case, neither Warmoth nor Fender will confirm or deny.

IF warmoth is doing so(Which I doubt, especially considering the price point and country of manufacture), they are way off from Warmoth's MoonCaster.

The Starcaster. mmmm.
1970s version was overpriced for the day, had those original Fender Wide Range humbuckers that I personally don't like. A chunky "contemporary for the period" bridge - did it add to the sound of the instrument? Probably (all that metal holding the strings down gotta do something to affect the sound!). Sceptically, I'm surprised that Fender in those days didn't incorporate a brass nut and a chunk of metal under the bridge to "add sustain" (and make the damn guitar sound like a pedal steel no matter what amp you put it through). THREE BOLT NECK (get me a bucket quick). That headstock (forget the bucket, get a mop - too late).

I don't know from this re-issue if they've weeded out some of my prejudices from my youth about this particular instrument.

But putting a T-O-M & stop tail & eliminating the 5th knob does make the re-issue on a more closer parallel to the ES-335, which in my view, will shyte all over this instrument (and has some serious heritage to fall back on in the marketing land). Blanding out the instrument won't help the re-issue. Why not go all out 70s retro and get some walnut on the body....or leave the chunky bridge on?

Those pickups are not, NEVER will be, Fender Wide Range humbuckers, they only look like them for poseur value. Fools a few folks in videos.

Yeah, I know I have bagged the originals. But I detest the marketing ploy of sucking players in thinking they are getting WRHB (when they are NOT), even more than the sound of the originals. If it looks like a WRHB it better damn well sound like one of them, but more than likely it's a  DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan OEM job, with standard sized (humbucker that is) bobbins packed with wax and shoved into a larger cover. Close sounding if they've done their homework, but not a patch on Seth's original work in terms of build complexity or ingenuity. To me, it's like taking the shape of an old Ferrari and shoving the mechanicals of a VW Golf underneath, because VW parts are easier to source and deal with. Now: if these WRHB imposters DON'T sound like the originals - but more like a regular humbucker - why get a Starcaster at all? Why not get a  335? :icon_scratch:

I really don't want a Starcaster. I want an offset semihollow with a flatmount bridge and a humbucker with some zing and raunch.

Cagey said:
I don't see the attraction, but then, I'm a weirdo. I still think Gibson SGs are Über-cool, although I don't really want one. Not really. Well, maybe. Ok, it's a stupid design but I love it! ...

I'm pretty sure I'll be hated/banned/set on fire by the SG clan for this one...

My Gibson All-American SG-X
166457_1659769288880_2040065_n_zps4203d1be.jpg

That thing on the side is a template I had custom ordered from guitartemplates.com. Trying to figure out if I want to build it or not.

Stripped the cherry red burst, stained it with crappy green stain on the dark mohagany, I think I just brushed some Tung Oil on it, the guitar sounded very different and more to my taste after I did it. I think I did this so I wouldn't sell the guitar again ( I sold it once, then bought it back).

Anyway, I do like those Starcasters, wish they made just solid bodies of those. Not much of a fan of Hollowbodies myself.

Again I apologize for the monstrosity that is my awesome sounding SG.

WARMOTH PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF STARCASTERS PLEASE GET THE LICENSE TO MAKE THEM ASAP!!!

WANT 24 FRET STARCASTER  :party07: :party07: :party07:

McGuyver said:
WARMOTH PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF STARCASTERS PLEASE GET THE LICENSE TO MAKE THEM ASAP!!!

You must be new here, they've already said they're making them, but so far without the butt-ugly headstock.

AutoBat said:
McGuyver said:

You must be new here, they've already said they're making them, but so far without the butt-ugly headstock.

You must spend too much time here.  Feel better about yourself?

Cagey said:
I'm sure sentimentality has a lot to do with it. Otherwise, why would I want an SG?

It forced me to buy one of those "Limited Edition" Gibson Melody Makers a year or two ago. Hate the thing. Sounds like mud so it's no fun to play. I can't even bring myself to sell it, because I can't recommend it in clear conscience. Nice neck on it, oddly enough, but it's just not musical.

So you bought a "Limited Edition" version of the  POS entry level Gibson that they pumped out for ANYONE to own a Gibson?  Man you sure sound like you're setting yourself up well for this next piece of a community-fostering gem:

Cagey said:
By saying that, It seems you believe we have to have one regardless of whether we want one, simply because it's possible to build one. By that logic, I should own a Chevy Volt, even though it's an ill-conceived overpriced vehicle that I don't like, just because The One shanghaied Government Motors into building the stupid things.

Get a grip.

If there was or is a market for them, they'll sell. If not, it should die. Since The One isn't mandating or subsidizing that particular product, I suspect it will die, for the same reasons it did in the first place. Very few people want one.

I'm not saying it's a bad guitar or a poor design or that nobody should have one. Far from it. If people want them, let them prove it by buying them. But I'll be damned if I'll have one jammed down my throat. I don't want one at any price.

Ever heard of fallacies?  You should try avoiding them when making an argument, whether ludicrous or not.  So you support a Limited Edition aka "We're Gibson and we'll shove anything down your throats and you people will eat it right up" of their probably worst guitar ever produced, and you want to blast people for liking the Starcaster?  Who are you?  If you don't want, don't spend your money on one.  If we want to spend our money on ours, we will.  Throw your fits somewhere else.

You're a real piece of work.

Cagey said:
Of course it's one-sided. It's my viewpoint. And if the day ever comes when I'm worried about a few isolated indie and pop dingbats, I hope I'm already institutionalized so I'm living under sedation. They do not comprise a market, at least not for major manufacturers of anything other than recreational drugs.

Delusional is gone over the edge.  Does 13,000 posts suddenly give you the impression that you speak for the entire community when it comes to what Warmoth should make?

Cagey said:
Those guys are the most popular artists of today? Where? Outer Mongolia? Queerbaitistan?

Oh and you're a biggot to boot.  I guess 13,000 posts gives you a free pass to be a completely ignorant boom-boom on these forums.  Touche, Cagey.

McGuyver said:
Cagey said:
Those guys are the most popular artists of today? Where? Outer Mongolia? Queerbaitistan?

Oh and you're a biggot to boot.  I guess 13,000 posts gives you a free pass to be a completely ignorant ass on these forums.  Touche, Cagey.

Well well well .....  :dontknow:  seems like someones having a crap day. 

Back