Autumncaster Padauk Strat

u9

Took a while to get this one finished but it's finally there :toothy10:

autumncaster_wgal.jpg

2pc padauk body from showcase, finished with MinWax Wipe-on Satin Poly (4 coats, steel-wooled between each)
Raw Indian rosewood/ebony neck from showcase, standard thin contour, 6115 SS frets, Graphtec nut, MOP inlays
Gotoh tuners and bridge
Duncan Demon/Cool Rails
volume/blend pots, multi-pup coil-split switch
Q-parts tortoise shell dome knobs (tortoise shell matches the body color very well! I'm going to get/make cover plates with it sometime)

How it sounds... phenomenal... and bright! I can't believe this thing is actually brighter than my all-maple/ebony guitar (same pups too). But it also has warmth, tight low-end response, and the complex tone I've come to love with warmoth guitars.

How it plays... like an old shoe and feels very organic. very balanced with and w/o a strap. neck is super smooth and fast. feels slinkier than my other warmoth, with same guage strings and tuning, will put on a heavier set next time.

total cost w/shipping: $1080

Very cool.  The rosewood goes killer with the padouk.  Great pickup choices, as well.

Yes! That shot of the back of the neck and body together is breathtaking. Beautiful wood choices.

I guess you went away from the fixed bridge thought you had when you bought that body.

Looks great by the way.

I've been lurking for a while. Thought I'd go real traditional with solid finishes. Now, I see THIS and so many other beautiful builds.. man, I'm sold on padouk! nicely done.

Wow, looks very nice and expensive. I wouldn't know what kind of music to play with this guitar...

how about a bargan, show me a production guitar with those kind of woods for $1080.  If it had PRS on it the price would be $4000.

thx everyone for your wonderful comments :)

Thumb: I still wanted that fixed bridge but nobody carries it anymore (that I could find). tried to contact Custom Shop Parts directly but their mailbox is always full. Still keeping me eye out for one though, got the trem blocked for now.

When I saw your post today it got me looking around for it too. No luck for me either. I think Musicians Friend was even carrying them for a while.   

If I ever see one I'll let you know.

Fantastic! I love the wood combination!

agree with Thumb! can't get nothing close to this for the same money from MacGuitarcenter

MacGuitarcenter... LOL

thumb, yep MF discontinued it just before I was planning to buy. thx for keeping your eye out! you looking for one for yourself also? I'll reciprocate the favor if you are :)

My current build has another Wilkinson/LSR set up.  My next will be a mahogany string through TOM since that is an option now.

Currenty working on the reverse of your orange/amber -w- ebony board strat.

Trans Blue -w- an all birdseye neck. (yeah I know I've been talking about this for a while)

anyway pic's soon.

well it took me just about as long to get this one done so I don't have room to talk, LOL. I actually just wish it'd taken a little longer to build once I had the parts... was done in a day, rather anti-climactic after several months of waiting (come to think of it, I think that is key to the addiction!). looking forward to the pics :D

Back