Ash Jazz Bass Build

SoundAsAnOldEngineer

Well, this project isn't going to win any prizes for pushing the boundaries of guitar design, but I'm very happy with the result, and there are a few lessons learned that might be of interest to another J-bass builder.

I picked an unpainted Swamp Ash body from the Showcase and had Warmoth finish it in Clear Gloss. The neck was also from the Showcase, with ebony fingerboard, standard profile, birdseye neck and satin finish. The remaining components are Gotoh bridge, Schaller tuners, Warmoth pickguard, CTS pots, and everything else Fender, including CS60 pickups.

The clear finish on the body is really excellent; I'm very pleased with this.

Interesting things about the build process:

The heel of the neck was about 0.03" too wide for the pocket. It might have fitted with a bit more pressure, but I didn't want to risk a crack in the body or in the finish. Ten minutes with 120 grit sandpaper and a square block of wood working on the pocket was enough to create a snug fit. I was careful to avoid sanding the floor of the pocket.

The neck needed a 0.016" shim to get the bridge height adjustment in the right range. This is the second time in succession that I needed this. I used a sheet of Birch from a model shop to make the shim.

The V shape on the control plate did not match the corresponding V on the pickguard by a huge margin. I marked round the control plate onto the pickguard and filed the pickguard to shape. The end result looks okay. I guess I have a bit of customising to do in the future if I ever change the pickguard.

The bass sets up to the standard Fender string height and neck relief without any problems. It sounds okay and plays nicely.

I hoped that it might be flexible enough to replace my earlier Warmoth P-bass, but there's something about the P-bass that makes me want to keep both.

It looks really excellent. Nice one!

Strange about the control plate and pickguard not fitting. Were they not both Warmoth parts?
I've read about builders here having some issues with the neck not quite fitting in the pocket, but it seems many had a bit to much paint there. Once removed they seemed to do ok.
My 7/8 Start build worked flawlessly everywhere http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26481.0

Thanks!

The pickguard was Warmoth, and the control plate was Fender. It was a big gap, not just a hairline thing.

This was my third or fourth Warmoth project, and the first where the neck didn't quite fit the pocket, but it genuinely didn't take more than 10 minutes to sort it out.

SoundAsAnOldEngineer said:
This was my third or fourth Warmoth project, and the first where the neck didn't quite fit the pocket, but it genuinely didn't take more than 10 minutes to sort it out.

That's good to hear.

Maybe you could hear with Warmoth if the control plate they offer is a Fender one, or one they had made specifically to fit their pickguard.

Nice bass!

The pickguard and control plate not lining up is actually a common problem, unless you get both from the same place.

The only Warmoth pickguard that offers the option of "warmoth" or "fender" control plates is the Standard 5 Jazz.  I made the mistake of getting an Allparts control plate when I built my Deluxe 5 Jazz, and the Warmoth pickguard didn't line up with it.  When I finally ordered a few more parts, I got the control plate from Warmoth, and it fit the pickguard like a glove.

You know, there's a reason why the classic looks are classic.  This is a fantastic bass.  Simple, unassuming, screaming quality.  Also inspiring.

ghotiphry said:
You know, there's a reason why the classic looks are classic.  This is a fantastic bass.  Simple, unassuming, screaming quality.  Also inspiring.
+1

Really nice.

Ghotiphry and Fat Pete: You're both very kind!

I absolutely mean it.  I look at that bass and think I'm getting too fancy with my builds (http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=26698.0).  I've taken a step back.  If I do a third :)laughing7:) I may just copy you.  With an raw neck though.

This looks amazing. I'm thinking eventually I might get a P bass body PJ configuration swamp ash and black pickgusrd. Mhmm.

Axkoa said:
This looks amazing. I'm thinking eventually I might get a P bass body PJ configuration swamp ash and black pickgusrd. Mhmm.

I've not played a P/J hybrid, although I rather wish I'd had my Warmoth P-bass body routed for a J bridge pickup. A P/J clearly does everything that a P-bass does, but I suppose that the P/J hybrid is not entirely a substitute for a J bass, because the characteristic growly tone of the J bass is based on both pickups adding equally. Any advice from someone with a P/J?

Axkoa said:

I've not played a P/J hybrid, although I rather wish I'd had my Warmoth P-bass body routed for a J bridge pickup. A P/J clearly does everything that a P-bass does, but I suppose that the P/J hybrid is not entirely a substitute for a J bass, because the characteristic growly tone of the J bass is based on both pickups adding equally. Any advice from someone with a P/J?

I have a MIM Fender Jazz 5 string that I decided to put a P/J combo into.  Had to cut the pickguard myself for the P pickup, but with the StewMac Template, a dremel, and a lot of patience it worked out fine.

As much as I love the tone of my Warmoth Deluxe 5 Jazz, there's something about the P/J that gives an "angrier" tone.  I guess it's the fatness of the P combined with the brightness of the bridge J.

Besides, can one EVER have too many flavours of bass tone?      :hello2:

Back