Are you Kidding Me??

ORCRiST said:
Sorry, just had to comment again... not trying to be mean or a jerk et. al. (as a matter of fact of all the forums I surf on the 'Net, Unofficial Warmoth is most friendly flame-free one I've ever found).

But 'typical Fender' bodies and necks are just as varied in form, fit, and function... depending on a Fender Strat thats MIA , MIM, or MIJ. I won't even go into variances over the long span of style/cosmetic/electronic/hardware changes that have occured over the decades.

Again, I hope things work out for you and in the end your new strat ends up beong one you love!

ORC
......Its all good...speak your mind! lol!....I am aware that there are differences in Fender bodies...I know that American made Fenders are a few mm's thicker than a Japanese made Fender for example, but what I havent mentioned is that I asked in an e-mail on the day of purchase these two questions.....Is it an American Strat body?....and is it first rate..in other words was it top quality and not "B' stock....I was told its built to American specs and is top quality. So you see, I thought of all the right questions to ask.....All but one I suppose! lol

I

deepblue said:
Gregg said:
Yes, for decades the tremolo rout has been deeper than Fender. As you may be able to guess, we do that to accommodate customer's desires to use different tremolo systems. Complaints about it are virtually non-existent which is significant when you realize the number of bodies we sell and for how long we've been doing it. Ken Warmoth designed that tremolo depth knowing full well those screw tips can show slightly. He surmised that it would be a non-issue to the customer in aesthetics or performance and that has turned out to be practically 100% accurate.

By the way, the pickup routs are also a tad bit deeper. You have Dimarzio to thank for that. Years ago they started putting the magnet on the bottom of their single coils and once again, our customers demanded we make our body compatible with various parts manufacturers, and we answered the call.

Gregg....
Thank you for your input into this thread. But, dont you think there should be a section at least explaining to potential buyers that there are some differences to the body then you wouldnt expect from a typical Fender? I mean one of the reasons I chose Warmoth is because they are licenced by Fender, which says to me that you are built to Fenders tried and true specifications. If I had known this before my assembly started then I wouldnt have had to deal with this incident. I would have simply used smaller screws. You have a great web-site that if full of information. Perhaps  a paragraph or two to let people know that there will be a few cosmetic differences in the "Fender" bodies that you have for sale.
Our website is busting at the seems with text and information and is considered by many to be already daunting. Everyday we make decisions on what information is added to the website or just as important, what is not significant to the vast majority of people so that we don't bury everyone in a blizzard of details. That doesn't mean someday exact specifications and maybe even schematics of our bodies won't be on our website since it sounds like a fine thing to do...it's just not being driven as a priority by our customer base.

Footnote: Fender only has their peghead shapes licensed.

GratefullyRedd said:
NonsenseTele said:
Well, it's really a problem, but I like my screws to be really deep :)
You don't even know what I thought you just said   

hannaugh said:
NonsenseTele said:

I hate to say it, but...
.... that's what she said.

So lucky I said my screws instead of the screws :p

deepblue said:
so you drove the screws too deep and that's some how the fault of warmoth?
sorry but i'd guess your SOL. i mean warmoth didn't drive the screws in right?

I drove the screws in untill they hit the bridge plate.....you know, where they are suppose to rest!
I mean really...do you know anything at all about a vintage tremolo?
Should I leave the screw heads sticking up 1/4' off the plate?......dont insult my intelligence.

sorry i could have put it better but really i knew that either it would be explained by variances in fender bodies or was entirely intentional. squire afinity strats and many other tremolo guitars have thinner bodies, that means that the route must be deeper so as to accomodate trems for these guitars, i was not certain that it was deeper but i knew they weren't gonna add wood here to prevent the screws coming through. i was not suggesting that you dont know how to set up a trem at all. i was suggesting that the screws were too long for warmoths standard, fender licence or no, warmoth measurements may vary from fender. also in past lawsuits against foreign guitar companies for some reason or another the general shape of the guitar was not enough to pin someone for copyright infringement, even including pickguard and other hardware.  the only part of a fender guitar that other companies may not copy is the headstock shape, and that's where the licence comes in. ever notice how many fender lookalikes are out there? but how many have fender headstocks these days vs. how many did in the 70's? oddly there are similar headstocks that predate fender guitars.

i have a lot of hobbies and have dealt with a lot parts for a lot of machines. this is something that you have to accept, parts are not all the same, from one factory to another, one brand to another. changes in hardware are common to facilitate variances in dimensions.
you didn't make a stupid mistake, it was an honest one but after all it wasn't a warmoth tech holding the screwdriver, i'll make this perfectly clear, i've done way worse. but i'll bet next time you'll get out the calipers and measure the screws, body and plate.

maybe i was a little bit of a jerk, could ya forgive me?

=CB= said:
hannaugh said:
NonsenseTele said:

I hate to say it, but...

.... that's what she said.

.... as the bed broke~

ah that reminds me of a funny story. i was acting out of character running around with... uh, her stage name was Jenna i think.

it went something like biong biong biong CRASH!!!, SCREEEAAM! what was that?!! then :laughing3: :laughing11: as i looked under the hotel bed and saw the steel caster/leg leaning over at 45 degrees.  :laughing7:

Theres nothing to forgive...Its all good. I was upset and venting. Im glad there is a place for
us to let off steam. In the big picture, if this is the biggest problem in my life then im not doing too bad.

deepblue said:

Theres nothing to forgive...Its all good. I was upset and venting. Im glad there is a place for
us to let off steam. In the big picture, if this is the biggest problem in my life then im not doing too bad.

That's the spirit. Just think of it as an excuse to build another guitar.  :laughing7:

Nothing is truly standard alright... Recently I noticed that both pickups + routes on my Squier Jazz bass are bridge-sized when I tried to replace them. Nothing a little persuasion couldn't fix, but still  :-\

Back