Are my pickups dead?

Jack_H

I purchased a set of Seymour Duncan JB & Jazz set of pickups from Amazon back in February.  Before I first installed them I tested them with multimeter; the neck had some random reading, and bridge zero.  After I installed them the whole thing was full of noise and static, though some sounds were coming through neck, and nothing from bridge.

I took everything apart and re-solder the wirings; the noises remained but nothing from the pickups.  This time both pickups were reading zero, as in 0.L.  From what I can find out, it means there's a break in wiring.  I tried testing on different combinations of wires and different settings with same result.

It's more than likely that I screwed up somehow, possibly with too hot a soldering iron.  My question is if there is any other way to check if they are still good, or are they pretty much toast.

I can imagine screwing up one pickup, but both? Is it possible that Amazon sent you ringers? They have a huge supply of fake stuff there. These pups were in real-looking, unopened packaging?

Yeah it's pretty late to return them, and I couldn't really in good conscience since I messed with it.  It was a package deal with a tuner, picks, and Dunlop cleaning kit in a sealed box, so I don't think anyone would go through all that trouble for a fake.

Live and learn, I guess.

Sounds to me like they were faulty from the beginning, tell the merchant the problem ... some people  will take them back, you never know, unless you ask.  Asking is free.  The worst that will happen is they say no, and you'll have parts for your part drawer.

Back