April 2015 Guitar of the Month Contest Submissions

GOM

We are now announcing the April 2015 Guitar of the Month contest!  April's contest will be "Owner/non-professionally Finished" and requires at least a Warmoth neck or body to qualify.

Please read the GOM rules, which have been refined, with some slight changes, and are posted in a sticky in this forum area.

Submissions must be sent, to uwfgom@gmail.com, and contain two images no greater than 1024x768, along with your description and details of the instrument.  Send your submission in plain text email.  Your photos must be attachments to the email.  Your unOfficialWarmoth Forum user name must be included in the body of the email.

In turn, your images will posted to this message, which is April's submission thread.

Submissions will be accepted from now until April 7th, so get your cameras clicking!

As usual, discussion about the submissions can take place below.

Please do not post additional photos in any replies to this thread.  Links to other UW threads or external sites are fine. Links will not be included in the entry descriptions.

Please try to stick to the entry requirements:
1024x768 pixel images maximum as attachments please, not embedded in the email or linked to external sites.

Include your UnOfficialWarmoth Forum user name.

Non-professionally finished instruments this month.

Sorry, but entries that do not meet these requirements may not be included in the contest. If you're having technical difficulties, get in touch!  (But only about contest entries please!)

Good luck, and may the best guitar/bass win!

Guitar #1 by slashin_velvet

Body: Telecaster Body Shape
Body Woods: Black Korina Body with decorative Walnut Burr veneer (self applied - also applied to neckplate and control covers)
Body contours: Tummy cut and cutaway adjustment (both hand carved to be more subtle than the traditional contours)
Bridge: Gotoh Telecaster Bridge
Pickups: Mick Brierley custom wound pickups (South Australia) - Telecaster in the bridge and Humbucker in the neck
Controls: Strat positioning, Volume-Tone, 3 way switch for Neck, Both, Bridge. Volume is a push pull to spilt the neck humbucker
Neck: Warhead neck
Neck Wood: Wenge neck with Pau Ferro fretboard (22 SS6230 frets)
Neck profile: Boatneck (which I have shaved back closer to the nut for a more desirable profile)
Nut width: 1-3/4"
Radius: 10-16 Compound
Tuners: Gotoh
All hardware in black except for humbucker which is silver matte

ktBVmlA.jpg

btVf3YC.jpg

Guitar #2 by Vallhagen

Body and neck are Warmoth Telecaster
Body: 1-piece Black Korina, all extra contours.
Finish from Wudtone; Cherry Flamenco
Pickguard: Warmoth
Bridge: Wilkinson tremolo

Neck: Canary with Ebony fretboard,
Standard slim, 10-16" compound radius.
std 25-1/2" scale
6130 frets
Graphtech nut
Unfinished

Hipshot locking staggered tuning machines
Handwired pickups from Oil City pickups (UK)
Controls: 3-way switch, volume, tone

1QY5BZd.jpg

vpFqJ0q.jpg

Guitar #3 by Bagman67

The guitar is a half-'Moth consisting of a chambered Warmoth swamp ash body bearing a flame maple laminate top.  I finished the body with water-borne General Finishes dyes.  I dyed the top with the GF Ebony dye and when it dried I sanded it back, leaving the dye only in the pores to emphasize the figuring after color applicarion.  I then applied the GF Amber dye on the entire body, and wiped on GF Brown and Ebony to build up the burst.  The clearcoat is Tru-oil.

I equipped the body with an ebony-on-maple Carvin neck (also finished by me, in Tru-oil), a pre-loaded pickguard with pups from a Fender Eric Johnson Strat, a Wilky VS100 tremolo, gold Planet Waves locking tuners, and Schaller straplocks.  Plays like a dream.

KLjSKvO.jpg

ug4rIZW.jpg

Guitar #4 by Great Ape

Warmoth body & neck: Body is spruce on basswood w/'black line option'
Neck is a '59 roundback, right-hand-reverse Warhead of wenge, ebony fingerboard, MOP dots, white binding, & 6150 frets...
Gotoh tuners & bridge, Q-parts dome knob, Seymour Duncan vintage neck & 'hot' P-90 pickups...

Body is wood-burned, colored w/Prismacolor Premier dye markers, and clear coated w/wipe-on poly.

zyd523l.jpg

UeMfHW2.jpg

Guitar #5 by Rolloman

WARMOTH NECK: Style: Stratocaster®: Pro Construction, Maple/Indian Rosewood, Nut Width: 1-11/16", Back Shape: Standard Thin, Fret Size: SS6150 (Stainless), Tuner Ream: Sperzel (25/64"), Radius: 10-16 compound, Scale: 25-1/2", Fret #: 22, Nut: GraphTech Black TUSQ XL - Standard Nut, Inlays: Cream Face Dots, White Side Dots, Finish: No Finish
WARMOTH BODY: Model: Chambered Stratocaster® Scale: 25-1/2", Wood; Quilt Maple on Swamp Ash, Rout: Top Rout, Pickup Rout: Strat®, Strat®, Humbucker, Controls: None, Bridge: Vintage 6-Hole Tremolo, Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout, Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour Finish: No Finish
TREMOLO: Callaham Vintage S Model Strat Bridge Assembly
PICKUPS: Lindy Fralin Blues Specials with 2% underwound neck.
Tremolo springs: KGC Raw Vintage Tremolo springs.
Tremolo Stop: KGC Mega-Stop
Tuners: Sperzel 6L T/L S/C (6 inline, locking, staggered, brushed chrome)
Warmoth Custom Pickguard: Color: Cream/Black/Cream, Control 1: None, Control 2: Tone, Control 3:Tone 2, Control 4: 5 Way Switch, Countersink: SRV Countersink, Bridge Cut: Standard Bridge Cut, Mounting Holes: 11 Hole
Volume Control: Fender S1 switch. 250K switches in bridge pickup for bridge/neck, or bridge/middle/neck.
Tone Control: Bourns 250K with push/pull switch for .047 or .1 ufd. caps.
Strap Locks: Dunlop

fZ4D4No.jpg

flHr4BJ.jpg

Submitted my veneer telecaster. Build thread here for anyone interested:
http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24203.0

Thanks Vallhagen, entry now posted. Battle of the black korina Teles it is... So far.

Still plenty of time for more entries, so keep 'em coming. Remember that non-winning previous entrants can enter again.

No kidding.  Can't hardly hope to hold any ground against Greg and his boots and his awesome axe.

If anyone is interested here is the construction photos I took of my dream seafoam strat.
http://s762.photobucket.com/user/jimgmaher/library/MY%20DREAM%20STRAT?sort=6&page=1

rolloman said:
If anyone is interested here is the construction photos I took of my dream seafoam strat.
http://s762.photobucket.com/user/jimgmaher/library/MY%20DREAM%20STRAT?sort=6&page=1

I just looked through them all. Some diligent work went into your build. A lot of good photos and ideas, perhaps you could consider a retrospective build thread.

Rolloman - Thanks so much for posting those build photos. I was wondering how you got that accent stripe looking so good. Looked like pin striping tape? Thanks for the insight into your work process, gave me some great ideas for future experimentation.

Back