APP

mullyman

Does this forum have an app? Recently on my iPhone the forum isn't loading very well, reading through the browser. A lot of stuff has become scrunched up and it's impossible to navigate from page to page.
MULLY

Screen shot
img3097.png

I think that in theory it should be easy to install TapaTalk on this forum. I would LOVE it if they would do that.

mullyman said:
Recently on my iPhone...

well there's your problem.... jk, i know people love those things despite the shortcomings.... then again that could be said about any smart phone...

from what i remember when i had an iphone (which i couldn't stand) there were no real 3rd party browsers. they were all really skins over the safari code. with android you have choices between opera, mozilla, and several webkit based browsers including chrome. (safari is webkit, which was developed by the makers of KDE for linux in their browser Konquerer) so you  get a choice, unless you run across a page that it written for explorer 6... then you are screwed.

my personal favorite is opera because it renders pages well on older phones. firefox is on it's way and flash can still be installed on it despite adobe dropping smartphone support.... but firefox is slow unless you have one of these newer multi-core phones with a lot of ram and flash will be obsolete when web developers get off there asses and update to html5.

seems opera mini is available on the iphone. it's not as good as opera mobile but for an iphone 4 or earlier it should make the experience much better. it is super fast.

Chrome is on iPhone now too.

Forum apps, or mobile specific skins, are much better for browsing forums on smaller screens, regardless of whether they're rendered correctly. There's nothing wrong with the rendering of this forum on my iPhone, but I still use tapatalk for all the forums I use that support it. It's just better.

A +1 for Tapatalk. I don't really visit forums on my phone which doesn't support Tapatalk, Forumrunner or are having it's own app (like TDPRI).

So ... I only vist UnOffWar on computers.

My advise would be to get a real phone instead of that ijunk..Apple sux, plain and simple...

Great. Let's make this another stupid iOS vs Android vs ... thread ...  :sad: :tard:

Apps like Tapatalk are actually available on both platforms. I don't know about Windows Phone.

SustainerPlayer said:
Great. Let's make this another stupid iOS vs Android vs ... thread ...  :sad: :tard:

Apps like Tapatalk are actually available on both platforms. I don't know about Windows Phone.
:laughing11:

Yeah, I've never understood why people feel the need to throw out "Apple sucks" when something like this is mentioned. Look, if you're happy with your smart phone, fantastic, I'm happy for you. I'm perfectly fine with my iPhone. I like it and can't wait for the next one to come out. Do you really think that by saying "Apple sucks" that I was going to fall back in my chair like I'd been hit with an epiphany? I'll go change my phone today.
MULLY
FWIW, I have 4 different browsers on my phone so Safari is not the only browser they run these days.

mullyman said:
Yeah, I've never understood why people feel the need to throw out "Apple sucks" when something like this is mentioned. Look, if you're happy with your smart phone, fantastic, I'm happy for you. I'm perfectly fine with my iPhone. I like it and can't wait for the next one to come out. Do you really think that by saying "Apple sucks" that I was going to fall back in my chair like I'd been hit with an epiphany? I'll go change my phone today.
MULLY
FWIW, I have 4 different browsers on my phone so Safari is not the only browser they run these days.
People like what they like, but if you're going to ask for advise, then you have to take the good with the bad. And myself being around both iphone and android, and windows phones, iphone is the least prefered. But hey, if it's what you like, then rock on my friend... :icon_thumright:

My job bought me an iPhone and I hate it. It always logs me out of the forum. Regardless of settings. The phone doesn't seem to be very fast either. I miss my droid and android phones.

DangerousR6 said:
People like what they like, but if you're going to ask for advise, then you have to take the good with the bad.
So save it until someone asks for advice, because nobody did.

PLEASE can we keep this thread on topic? Tapatalk is a nice way to use forums on mobile platforms of any kind. I even use it on my tablet, despite the fact that web pages work perfectly fine on it.

Tapatalk would work with this forum software and can be downloaded here:

http://www.tapatalk.com/activate_tapatalk.php?plugin=smf

From what I can tell, the last package in the list would be the correct one to install.

DangerousR6 said:
mullyman said:
MULLY
People like what they like, but if you're going to ask for advise, then you have to take the good with the bad. And myself being around both iphone and android, and windows phones, iphone is the least prefered. But hey, if it's what you like, then rock on my friend... :icon_thumright:

But I didn't ask for any advice, I just asked if there was an app available.
MULLY

You open up a door and people are going to come through. This forum is notorious for being off topic. There's no app. Through conversation though there is a chance maybe for some info to come out on a better UI for this forum and the iPhone. Are the comments really that big of a deal? This is really the only forum I visit so I think I just have a different view.

One of my favorite forums, but I rarely browse at work. My iPhone and this site do not get along well at all. Right now it's loading very easily, but it seems to be pretty fickle. Most other sites don't have much of a problem.

i suggested trying opera mini, opera has their own renderer and it works well on older phones that don't have an abundance of resources. it can also redirect through their servers to make the pages more mobile friendly, they will load faster beacause they have been simplified and they will be easier to read if you set that option (if it's still there, things change). others suggested tapatalk for reading forums. so you got two good suggestions and a few opinions. in the end i think we can agree smart phones all suck.

let us know how you make out with it.

Dan0 said:
in the end i think we can agree smart phones all suck.

Couldn't agree much more! Love some android features. Love some iPhone features. My ideal phone would be a big mix up of the two. In the end I can't complain too much. It still makes phone calls just fine!  :icon_biggrin:

^^did you ever try a MIUI rom on android? it's a chinese andriod rom ripped and translated from whatever device and modified by developers and it's a werid mix of android with ios like features (like no app drawer, but it's possible to add one) but more child like themeing and some additional stuff that was unique to MIUI for a while but some oems have copied since. back in the nexus 1 and evo days miui was pretty cool and it somehow manages to be really fast even with all the extra features it has. nowadays you need a phone that is aosp friendly to use it and you may find the standard roms to be as good or better.

Getting a different browser doesn't really make much difference - although it might solve mully's problem of bad rendering I guess. But I think even when the forum is rendered correctly on a mobile device, it's still hard to use. Tapatalk is something that has to be installed on the actual forum server (it's about a 10 minute job).

I usually come straight to the "new posts" page - threads that have been updated since my last visit. On my phone it looks like this:

1_zpsace935bf.png

It is rendered perfectly - everything laid out exactly as it should be. But it's hard to use.

It's a high-res screen so the text is fairly readable as is, although of course it would be nicer a bit bigger. There's lots of wasted space and the
new.gif
button, which 99% of the time is what I want to click, is hard to press in amongst all those other links and trying to use a finger. So to press it I usually zoom in like this:

2_zpsfffc4090.png

This works and I am taken in to the thread, which looks like this:

3_zps036cf25e.png

Again, rendered exactly right. The text could be bigger but it's just about readable. But there's heaps of wasted space to the left and right which is annoying as those images are too wide for the page. I can scroll by dragging, but then I have to scroll back again or some of the text of each post disappears. It's doable but it's hard to use.

When I want to reply, the buttons are at the bottom of the screen and again I need to zoom in to reliably press the right one.

4_zpsd27f2b4a.png

So, yes, the phone is rendering the pages correctly, everything is as fast as can be, and I can use the forum. But since when is the bare minimum of usability considered the ideal state of a piece of web software?

Let's take a look at what it's like when I use the Seymour Duncan forum on my phone. The administrators of this forum have installed the Tapatalk mod so that I can use the Tapatalk app with it. This app is available on iPhone and Android, but not Windows Phone.

When I go to the forum, in a similar way, I want to see which threads have unread posts in them, and it looks like this:

6_zpsf473e70c.png

A scrollable list of threads, each title nice and readable, with other information given in smaller type. Tapping anywhere on the thread title takes me to the first unread post in that thread, which looks like this:

7_zpsc49afcf8.png

Nice and easy to read, without wasted space and with a mobile-friendly layout. The large images have been reduced to thumbnails, and just tapping each one brings it up in fullscreen like this:

8_zps78393012.png

Swiping left and right goes between all the photos in the post.

The reply button is in the top right of the screen at all times, and post-specific options appear when I tap the post:

9_zpsa887fb6d.png

When I'm typing a post, I can also upload pictures from my phone straight into a post, without bothering with a middleman like photobucket - very handy indeed. I can mark threads as favourites, view forums individually, look at all the threads I've posted in, do searches... the list goes on.

It's all very pleasant and usable. And with just a few minutes' work on the server side, unofficialwarmoth.com could have all those features too.

Back