Anyone use Fishman Fluence?

cromulent

Thinking about getting some of these. Never used active pups before. Am I going down a rabbit hole?

I’ve got a set of Classic Humbuckers to go in my carved top soloist I am about to begin building. I’m also intrigued by the Tele and Strat pickups as well, but I haven’t made a move toward them yet.

If I wanted to put active P90s on a string-thru Tele (Deluxe), where would I put the battery pack?

If I wanted to put active P90s on a string-thru Tele (Deluxe), where would I put the battery pack?
As a hardtail or tremolo?

If a tremolo you could use this.

Or a hardtail use the universal pack and find somewhere to cut it in via the pickguard or from the rear behind the control cavity if you can do the wood work to mount it.

Or even simpler the Fluence pickups will run on 9V batteries in the same way as EMGs do, so you can ask Warmoth to rout for a battery and use a battery box and 9V battery. This is probably the simplest option.

I suppose another possibility is to get a rout for a double battery box and then find a way to mount the Fishman Universal battery pack into there with a plate of pickguard material for example with a 1/2" hole to mount the battery pack.

Last edited:
Actually, I emailed Fishman to see if I could buy the separate jack/USB plate and Battery pack from the Greg Koch set but they won’t sell it separately. That would be a very clean integrated installation.

@stratamania , that’s an interesting idea to use the routed double battery box as a starting point to package the universal plate and battery.

Actually, I emailed Fishman to see if I could buy the separate jack/USB plate and Battery pack from the Greg Koch set but they won’t sell it separately. That would be a very clean integrated installation.

@stratamania , that’s an interesting idea to use the routed double battery box as a starting point to package the universal plate and battery.
I had looked at that one and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. Is the battery just housed in the output jack? That would be a great solution. Why would it only be on one model, and not even on the other Greg Koch set (which has P90s, which is what I want)???

I had looked at that one and wasn't exactly sure what I was looking at. Is the battery just housed in the output jack? That would be a great solution. Why would it only be on one model, and not even on the other Greg Koch set (which has P90s, which is what I want)???
I believe the jack is the electronic control, same as the plate on the universal one then the battery lives below the pots on the Tele plate.

Your mind is used to seeing a plate there, so you don't really notice the ferrules and body color on the slot.

You put the trem back cover on a hard tail with the backplate slot around the ferrules. Okay, I suppose you had to drill for the connection wires etc. Perhaps post some photos.

It would look less correct to my mind on a hard tail but it is another possible option.

You put the trem back cover on a hard tail with the backplate slot around the ferrules. Okay, I suppose you had to drill for the connection wires etc. Perhaps post some photos.

It would look less correct to my mind on a hard tail but it is another possible option.
You are correct. 1 hole to be drilled for the wire, and obviously the 6 for the plate mounting screws.

To me, not seeing a back plate on a strat hardtail is still weird after 13 years or so. Well, maybe 10 of those. I did get kinda used to it, then went crazy with the whole active circuit (clapton), backplate, ease of use concept.

To the untrained eye and non players, a hardtail looks like any other strat. I don't think many would pick up on the painted area and ferrules or the hardtail until they actually pick it up.

I have to say, it works really well and lasts a really long time between charges....... unless your jack is touching the foil shielding tape and discharging it in 2 weeks time. Lol
Yeah, it took me a while to finally figure that one out. 🤌🤌🤌

Attachments

• 20221130_182535.jpg
    20221130_182535.jpg
    847.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for posting the photo, it seems to work out well.

To me, not seeing a back plate on a strat hardtail is still weird after 13 years or so.

My first Strat that I got after a T type, and then a Japanese Les Paul copy around 45 years ago was a hard tail. For me when I got the first trem equipped Strat the backplate took some getting used to how it looked.

Back