Anybody with experience with 2Tek bridges?

skydigger

I've got a 4 string bass bridge that I've had hanging around for quite a while.  I'm debating putting it to use on a new build, but I'm not really sure if it's weight is going to be too heavy, or is it worth it (tone\sustain) wise to route that huge gap out of the body??? 

2TEK_black.JPG

None of you bass players remember the Hamer 2Tek from the mid 90's?

The 2Tek was supposed to be a great advancement in bridge technology.  The company  (2Tek) went under 'cause the bridges cost over $200 and Hamer (and Peavy for one model) were the only big manufacturer's to give them a chance.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o107/mbluto/hamer%20cruise%202tek/avatar.jpg

Those 4 bridge "fingers" go right through the body and attach to a solid metal bass.

I will say this much, it looks nice installed on that body. Can't tell it's such a hulking beast.

I'm pretty much a Gotoh 201 user on my bass projects. Skuttlefunk might know..... :dontknow:

It's pretty damn heavy though.  I think around 5 lbs!.

I've decided on a Modulus Genesis neck for this one.  I've tracked down whoever has Boogie Body Guitars and he's got all the original templates.    So if I can work out a fair price I'm gonna get him to install it on a Warmoth Pbass.

5lb  :eek:  Lawdy miss Clawdy  :eek: That's a serious chunk of avoirdupois Mr Digger. I thought I was tough toting a 12lb walnut Jazz bass around. That P bass could end up heavier than Elvis's lunch bucket :doh: :doh:

skydigger said:

I've decided on a Modulus Genesis neck for this one.  I've tracked down whoever has Boogie Body Guitars and he's got all the original templates.    So if I can work out a fair price I'm gonna get him to install it on a Warmoth Pbass.

Actually, the 2Tek four string bass bridge weighs 17 ounces, not five pounds.

Stop confusing the issue with facts!

Oh, and um... welcome to the board <grin>

Zilmo said:
skydigger said:

Actually, the 2Tek four string bass bridge weighs 17 ounces, not five pounds.

Must've been an early prototype machined out of Carbide.  :laughing7:

I'm definitely going to check out some 2Tek bridges.

btw Zilmo, in the General Guidelines section on identity: Commercial Users: If you own, operate, or are employed by a music-related business, you must disclose your affiliation in your account signature.

AutoBat said:

btw Zilmo, in the General Guidelines section on identity: Commercial Users: If you own, operate, or are employed by a music-related business, you must disclose your affiliation in your account signature.

Sorry, I'm new here. I will address that.

Zilmo said:
AutoBat said:

Sorry, I'm new here. I will address that.

Thanks Mike.  And welcome to the forum!  (This is Eric.)

Hi, I'm another Mike and new here too and in the spirit of full discolsure, Zilmo is a good friend of mine.

I recently did a 2Tek installation on a mutual friend's PRS SE Singlecut Soapbar. The weight before was 7.1lb. Following the removal of a large chunk of mahogany, the original stoptail bridge/posts and the addition of a 6-string 2Tek, the weight was 7.6lb, so about an 8 ounce increase. I would expect a bass conversion to be similar, depending on the bridge removed. The 6-string finger and saddles are obviously smaller and lighter than the 4-string ones, but there's two more of them.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the current 2Tek bridges are the 3rd generation. Each generation has got progressively lighter and more compact without sacrificing any of the tonal benefits.

Back