Any fellow watch-lovers here?

mrpinter

I'm a watch guy. I especially like vintage wristwatches from the 20s through the 60s and into the 70s. I have some modern watches too, but they don't have that vintage vibe of watches from the golden age of timekeeping. Here are a few of mine (the first one has regrettably been sold):

20sMovadoWS2.jpg

galloskinstrapontissot1-1.jpg

richardchronowristshotsleeve1.jpg

DuvalChronoWS.jpg

That last one is lovely.

I'd have some nice watches if I was a millionaire; as it is, they're very far down the spending priority I'm afraid. I'm currently wearing one of these:

img3780kb3.jpg

My original rubber strap broke but they make a metal replacement and it looks nicer and it won't break.

It's a thing of almost breathtaking ugliness, but it is hands down the best watch I've ever had in terms of practicality.

1. It sets itself by radio control every night while I'm asleep. I never need to worry about setting it - it's always exactly right.
2. It recharges its own battery by solar power whenever light falls on it. I never need to worry about the battery.
3. It's a G-Shock - I never need to worry about bashing it.
4. It's pressure-tested to 20 Bar - I can wear it to jump off cliffs into the sea, snorkel, or... have a shower.

I never take it off - there's never a reason to.

However, I think my millionaire watches would be these two:

rolex-yacht-master-02.jpg
omega-seamaster-pattern-dial300.jpg

Nice choices. The Yachtmaster is going to be pricey, but vintage Seamasters can be found readily, and there are many different models to choose from. Depending on condition and model, they can run anywhere from less than a thousand $ to a couple thousand - this assumes they are sold by a reputable vintage dealer who has fully serviced the watch, and that it is in excellent condition. They can be found for less from private parties, but this is kind of risky.

I'm one of those people who feels naked if I'm not wearing a watch, even though I have no real obsession with what time it is!!

My current watch collection includes (sorry, no pics):

2 Tissots - a titanium PR50 and a stainless steel diver
1 Longines - stainless steel, don't remember the model
1 Citizen Eco-drive
1 Roots - I've had this one since college
1 Timex - my "I don't give a /$%&? if it gets scratched" watch for when I'm working outside.

Attachments

• Tissot-T-Sport-T17.jpg
    Tissot-T-Sport-T17.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 507
That Tissot chronograph is a handsome watch. Tissot has a nice history, and made some very good quality watches in the past. One of my favorite watches is my 1940s Tissot (pictured above). IIRC, Tissot and Omega were under the same ownership for a while, and Tissots of a certain period essentially had Omega movements. They still make some nice watches, as evidenced by yours. When I got my daughter a nice watch for a birthday, it was a Tissot.

Okay, Mr. Pinter.  I am enjoying your photos and your generosity with your expertise.

Say I have 300 bucks and a need for a wrist watch.  I much prefer Arabic numerals and round dials, and don't care for the whiz-bang chronometer features.  I enjoyed my Swiss Army Officer while it lasted, but I beat the hell out of it by wearing it daily for 17 years.  The movement is still bulletproof, but the case and bracelet look like they've been run over by a car.  I can't wear it to dress up or go to a job interview.

What do you recommend?

Suppose I have 500 bucks instead?

Bagman67 said:
Okay, Mr. Pinter.  I am enjoying your photos and your generosity with your expertise.

Say I have 300 bucks and a need for a wrist watch.  I much prefer Arabic numerals and round dials, and don't care for the whiz-bang chronometer features.  I enjoyed my Swiss Army Officer while it lasted, but I beat the hell out of it by wearing it daily for 17 years.  The movement is still bulletproof, but the case and bracelet look like they've been run over by a car.  I can't wear it to dress up or go to a job interview.

What do you recommend?

Suppose I have 500 bucks instead?

First, thank you for your kind words. Secondly, I have a real preference for mechanical watches, but a decent mechanical for $300 is a very tall order, if you're limiting yourself to new watches. You should, however, be able to find a pretty nice simple vintage watch for that much, but unless you buy from a reputable vintage watch dealer (who services the watches they sell and guarantees them) it can be a shot in the dark to buy without knowing the watch's service history. You might just be acquiring a pricey need for a servicing.

Your other alternative is to buy a quartz watch. There is nothing at all wrong with quartz. For a lot of people it is the best choice, because they are virtually trouble free, they don't need to be wound, and they are in fact much more accurate than all but the very highest grade mechanical watches.

For $500 you of course have more options. I'm very impressed with an English watch company called Christopher Ward London. They use quality Swiss movements (both mechanical and quartz) and are very nicely priced for their fit and finish and overall quality. When I got my wife a watch for last Christmas I got her a Christopher Ward (a quartz model). Here is one of their less expensive men's mechanical automatics:

chrwardharrisonauto1.jpg

It's a very conservative style (very British in that respect). It's a little over your budget at about U.S. $585, but it is well worth it. Another option of course would be - again - a nice vintage watch. $500 begins to get you in the ball park for a good quality pre-owned watch with a lot of life left in it. A good mechanical Swiss watch, if properly serviced at the correct intervals, will last longer than you and me.

Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but best of luck with your search.

Regards,
Mike Pinter

Bagman67 said:

I recently had to buy a new watch to replace one I've been wearing for about 25 years or so, for similar reasons and with similar criteria to yours. I had good luck searching for something at WorldOfWatches. They have a huge selection from a wide variety of manufacturers, all reasonably priced, and some good filters to narrow things down so you don't have to look through their entire inventory.

These are the 2 I currently own, not millionaire watches but I like them. The S.U.G. is an original, near Rolex Submariner money. The Seiko was about half that.
7_2912009113827794.jpg

SeikoSNA2812-PS_filtered.jpg

But my millionaire watch would be a Rolex Daytona or Breitling
18kt-gold-Rolex-Daytona1.jpg

breitling-chronograph-03703.jpg

Yes, I have an affliction for chronographs.. :icon_biggrin:

Cagey said:
Bagman67 said:

I recently had to buy a new watch to replace one I've been wearing for about 25 years or so, for similar reasons and with similar criteria to yours. I had good luck searching for something at WorldOfWatches. They have a huge selection from a wide variety of manufacturers, all reasonably priced, and some good filters to narrow things down so you don't have to look through their entire inventory.

I clicked the Woldofwatches link and took a look. Most of their brands are cheap department store type stuff. One brand they carry that is respectable is Seiko. I still prefer Christopher Ward - they are just nicer watches than most of the Seiko's, IMO.

Bagman - give us some details of what you are looking for - white, silver or black dial, strap or bracelet, stainless steel or gold plated case, and so on. That will help in a recommendation.

Here is something I thought you might find interesting. An acquaintance of mine takes Swiss movements and Latvian cases and engraves them like this:
image%201.jpg

He does custom engraving on them as well, so you could get about anything you would want, maybe something like this:
RBaptiste+Watches+%E2%80%93+3.jpg

His name is Roland Baptiste, just one of a number of acquaintances I have in the engraving world.
More about Roland here.

Jumble Jumble said:
God, imagine being able to do that. Stunning.
I'm not even close to Roland's level of ability, but I'm working on it! It may take an eternity, but... :toothy12:

Ddbltrbl said:
Jumble Jumble said:
God, imagine being able to do that. Stunning.
I'm not even close to Roland's level of ability, but I'm working on it! It may take an eternity, but... :toothy12:

You do engraving? How about some pictures of your work? I'd love to see something.

Sorry, I am very much still at the student level and my fragile pride is probably not quite ready for the world stage yet!  :laughing7:
I'll have to just stick to assembling guitars and maybe an occasional picture of one of my knives like this one.
Knife0002a.jpg

mrpinter said:
I'm a watch guy. I especially like vintage wristwatches from the 20s through the 60s and into the 70s. I have some modern watches too, but they don't have that vintage vibe of watches from the golden age of timekeeping. Here are a few of mine (the first one has regrettably been sold):

Lovely collection, I especially like the third one.

I don't own anything too fancy, but I'm a fan of diving watches, even though I don't dive  :icon_biggrin: Here is the one I wear most of the time:

misc_sumo.jpg

And this one serves as a toolwatch:

misc_monster.jpg

Back