Any body got a spare....

I think that anyone who pays 77K for a supposed '53 or '54 tele without doing their homework deserves to be swindled... "A fool and his money are soon parted", or something like that...

Fish said:
I think that anyone who pays 77K for a supposed '53 or '54 tele without doing their homework deserves to be swindled... "A fool and his money are soon parted", or something like that...

I know a quite bit about vintage guitars, but the most important bit of information I have is that I CAN be fooled. I definitely don't know everything. When you're spending that kind of money, you pay an expert to tag along with you. There are some very good people who, for a fee, will check the guitar out for you. And there are, of course, an even greater number of quacks whose "knowledge" comes mostly from magazines and books.

The color on the Tele is not bad if it sat in a case under a bed most of it’s life. The control route is the correct shape, squared in the back rounded in the front.   The router hump in the neck pocket is correct.  The discoloration between the finish under the control plate and the finish on the body can look very similar on some guitars.   If you want to get a great idea of what a vintage Tele should look like get Nacho Banos’ book the Blackguard.  It is the best book on the market regarding these wonderful instruments.  The colors are all over the place depending on how much out of case and bar time the thing has seen.  I love Bill Hullett’s Tele serial #0514 in the book, now that is a war- horse

I would be very careful buying a vintage piece unless I had solid proof of its authenticity. Be especially careful of a solid body guitar like a Fender or a 58, 59, or 60 Les Paul that can be easily reproduced by an unethical weenie.  I sure there are many of us lurking around the Warmoth board that are in the market for a $250,000 to $400,000.00 1959 Lester.    

Tonar8353 said:
I would be very careful buying a vintage piece unless I had solid proof of its authenticity. Be especially careful of a solid body guitar like a Fender or a 58, 59, or 60 Les Paul that can be easily reproduced by an unethical weenie.  I sure there are many of us lurking around the Warmoth board that are in the market for a $250,000 to $400,000.00 1959 Lester.    

I can get anyone a 1953 Les Paul.  I know you don't hear much of them, that is because they are the only ones that are bolt-on, and they are very, very rare.  You don't hear much of them because they are so expensive.  Let me know what kind of wood pattern and finish you want.  I would bet I can even find you a custom neck plate (you listening, Doug?).  The guitars cost no more than $350.000.  Shipping negotiable but at least $50,000.

:icon_jokercolor:

Tonar8353 said:
The color on the Tele is not bad if it sat in a case under a bed most of it’s life. The control route is the correct shape, squared in the back rounded in the front.   The router hump in the neck pocket is correct.  The discoloration between the finish under the control plate and the finish on the body can look very similar on some guitars.   If you want to get a great idea of what a vintage Tele should look like get Nacho Banos’ book the Blackguard.  It is the best book on the market regarding these wonderful instruments.  The colors are all over the place depending on how much out of case and bar time the thing has seen.  I love Bill Hullett’s Tele serial #0514 in the book, now that is a war- horse

I still think it's a fake/something was fishy....

I have to ask, why would you go $250-400K for a '59 LP? Would that price be commiserate with an "under the bed in the case for 50 years" condition? I've owned a number of vintage guitars prior to their being vintage enough to be seriously valuable, but wish I still had most of them for their increased monetary value. I think you're in the same general age range as myself; given the direction the global economy is headed and the fact that for the most part I think the high end market for vintage guitars has generally peaked, don't think that would be the most prudent investment for the rest of our lifetimes. Of course, you might be able to resell to the next generation Slash that comes along.

I understand the cachet of a vintage guitar without question, just question if any guitar has $400K's worth?

DocNrock said:
Tonar8353 said:
I would be very careful buying a vintage piece unless I had solid proof of its authenticity. Be especially careful of a solid body guitar like a Fender or a 58, 59, or 60 Les Paul that can be easily reproduced by an unethical weenie.  I sure there are many of us lurking around the Warmoth board that are in the market for a $250,000 to $400,000.00 1959 Lester.   

I can get anyone a 1953 Les Paul.  I know you don't hear much of them, that is because they are the only ones that are bolt-on, and they are very, very rare.  You don't hear much of them because they are so expensive.  Let me know what kind of wood pattern and finish you want.  I would bet I can even find you a custom neck plate (you listening, Doug?).  The guitars cost no more than $350.000.  Shipping negotiable but at least $50,000.

:icon_jokercolor:
Oh ya I'm in on that....... :icon_thumright:

Back