Any body got a spare....

Bidding has ended.  :glasses9:

Someone had some spare change lying around.  Maybe there is a tele 401(k) fund out there.

Thats a fake or a refin, or they would have showed it with the pickguard removed, and the teltale subtle identifiers fully exposed.

-CB- said:
Thats a fake or a refin, or they would have showed it with the pickguard removed, and the teltale subtle identifiers fully exposed.
Ya I'd need verification from fender first.....I mean look how crisp the date is on the end of the neck.....alittle to crisp for something that's 55 yrs old... :dontknow:
d364_1.JPG

Max said:
d4ff_1.JPG

Wouldn't the area under the control plate be lighter?
Shouldn't the whole thing be darker?
I couldn't tell, it was light, it was dark, it was light....... :laughing7:

DangerousR6 said:
Max said:
d4ff_1.JPG

Wouldn't the area under the control plate be lighter?
Shouldn't the whole thing be darker?
I couldn't tell, it was light, it was dark, it was light....... :laughing7:

I think Tonar could get it that color with his blackguard finish maybe 2 hours in the sun. I doubt 50 years would keep it that light.

That seller doesn't have the best reputation. He sometimes lists guitars he doesn't even have.

It's fake...with a couple of parts that might be vintage...

1.) Never saw a 50's Fender with any neck date in red - typically lead pencil - NEVER day penciled in, just month/year, or initials/month/year. Atypical to see dates that match that close.
2.) Were some parts kept in a hermetically sealed room, others not? Look at the bridge saddles/screws. If they're in that state, you should see similar aging/discoloring of bridge plate/tuners/other metal parts.
3.) Stamping including serial number in bridge plate is too "sharp" and serial number does not compute seem to compute for date....below is 1954 model

54telmix.jpg

4.) You should see aging on bakelite parts of selector switch and switch tip; switch is wrong, tip looks wrong and wouldn't be shiny anymore.... Switch should look like this pic:

stswit1.jpg

5.) A Tonar blonde repro finish after 2 weeks in the sun would be more convincing.
6.) Decal is correct, but none of them look like that after 55 years, freshly applied.
7.) Poodle case obviously re-issue

Note no pics with pickguard off or of pickups/bottom of pickups...

Here's a better fake '54 Tele:

http://cgi.ebay.com/March-1954-FENDER-TELECASTER-BLACKGUARD-w-Poodle-case_W0QQitemZ110269792610QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110269792610&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Here's a REAL 1953 Tele that went pretty cheap ($19.6K) due to mods/non-original parts, compare pics...

http://cgi.ebay.com/1953-FENDER-TELECASTER-VINTAGE-BLACK-GUARD_W0QQitemZ150265280407QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item150265280407&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Wana_make_a_guitar said:
Well the guy made a fat wad of cash and a customer isn't looking around for details.
No dude, he found out it was a fake (someone emailed him) and he took it down.

Good replies from the "Vintage experts"!

But I use to think:
Don't buy that kind of thing from eBay, even more if you live in USA, UK, Europe, places that have many stores selling vintage equipament...
Kind of stupidity to me buy a $80 grands guitar without any garanties of it....

There actually are some legitimate vintage axes on eBay; they're mostly with a set price of 2x/3x what they're worth. LOTS of fake/questionable stuff...

Was just looking, and this real '58 Strat has met reserve and is only at $12,6K; wonder what it'll end at?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-Fender-Stratocaster-nice-original-guitar-w-case_W0QQitemZ290246316490QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290246316490&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

There are bond traders who can make 150 million dollars with an afternoon's "work" on the phone; they hang this stuff on the walls of their music room next to the Picassos and the suits of armor and the severed heads of the downtrodden working class. :blob7:

(eat the rich, or at least grind 'em up and feed 'em to the homeless?* )

*(oh wait - we have to be careful who gets a taste for human flesh)

jackthehack said:
There actually are some legitimate vintage axes on eBay; they're mostly with a set price of 2x/3x what they're worth. LOTS of fake/questionable stuff...

Was just looking, and this real '58 Strat has met reserve and is only at $12,6K; wonder what it'll end at?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-Fender-Stratocaster-nice-original-guitar-w-case_W0QQitemZ290246316490QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290246316490&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Is that glue or some sort of finish over the Logo and only the logo?

I really hate people who see instruments as investments. Even if I had millions of dollars I wouldn't buy vintage instruments for ridiculous prices. At least not bolt-on instruments. For a quality bolt-on guitar, Warmoth is the answer.

This guy really is a shameless scammer, isn't he? Look at the color of the plastic on this 56-year-old Gibson:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-GIBSON-LES-PAUL-GOLDTOP-EARLY-MODEL-PRE-SERIAL_W0QQitemZ200240012323QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33040QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262QQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262QQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

c6db_12.jpg

ae99_12.jpg

That pickguard! That switch tip! Those tuning pegs! That shiny, polyurethane back and sides?!?

Grandpa didn't have this under the bed, he kept it in his frikkin' TIME MACHINE. :blob7: Gotta get me one of those....

Wana_make_a_guitar said:
jackthehack said:

Is that glue or some sort of finish over the Logo and only the logo?

If you're referring to the picture of the '58 peghead below, that's one of the potential aging patterns you might see on a Fender that old with original decal, i.e., decal/peghead finish originally appeared same color, over the years aged differently. I've never seen a 40+ year old Fender that didn't have some cracking/chipping in decal like that.

headfront.jpg

Back